CAA's EPIC FAIL!

Discussions about anything in the news

Re: CAA's EPIC FAIL!

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:16 pm

Basically the rules are constructed in a way that allows those wielding the power to do so in whatever way they see fit -- with little or no accountability.

Carterton balloon incident! Who within CAA was held responsible for the 11 that died when CAA sat on their fat arses and did nothing?

Nobody. We get the usual trite statements such as "lessons have been learned" and releases littered with phrases such as "moving forward" -- without actually acknowledging that someone failed to do their job and as a result, lives were lost.

So now they decide to get tough on innocent families and kids who just want to enjoy a peaceful, harmless hobby which history has proven to be of little risk to person or property. Much easier to criminalise these "low hanging fruit" than to actually deal with the real issues out there I guess :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:29 pm

as much as it hurts me to sound like im lauding a government forces department but
perhaps they could learn from the transport department
where a license does not mean you can drive
a car / motorbike / truck / bulldozer / forklift / bus or train simply because you have a * license *
or will my quad license also allow me to part time for air nz driving 747s
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:52 pm

The transport analogy is a good one.

Comparing RC model aircraft to GA aircraft is like comparing bicycles to cars.

Cars are big, heavy, fast-moving machines that can (and often do) pose a real threat to human life and property. It's only right therefore, that the operators of these machines prove their competence and understanding of the rules before being allowed to do so.

Bicycles are like RC models. They are lighter, less dangerous (to other people) and simpler to operate. We don't restrict bicycles to private property, nor do we require that a license is needed to operate one.

Having said that -- anyone care to guess how long it will be before we see the compulsory registration of cyclists (with the accompanying fee of course)?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Screw » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:53 pm

How does the CAA intend to police these regs? There is only a few of them. Get the MFNZ to be their Gestapo? The Police? Hell, the latter are too busy making money out of drivers.

The licence fees are simply revenue gathering, another form of Taxation.
Screw

Postby goosemoose » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:02 pm

Screw wrote:How does the CAA intend to police these regs? There is only a few of them. Get the MFNZ to be their Gestapo? The Police? Hell, the latter are too busy making money out of drivers.

Ah, Screw, I'd be tempted, just to see what happens :twisted: A simple phone call to the police about lawbreaking. Yes I know they won't turn up but it'd be interesting none the less. There''s nothing like forcing an organisation to enforce rules they probably never had any intention of enforcing. These rules will probably only be pulled out when someone gets up someone at CAA or their mates noses. Simpson, B springs to mind.
goosemoose

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:07 pm

Screw wrote:How does the CAA intend to police these regs? There is only a few of them. Get the MFNZ to be their Gestapo? The Police? Hell, the latter are too busy making money out of drivers.

Therein lies the real problem...

CAA have admitted they don't have the resources to police these regulations and will this means they'll almost certainly only act on receipt of complaints.

Why is this bad?

Well there are lots of people out there who will make specious complaints or complaints motivated out of malice, politics or whatever. Someone who just "hates" drones because of what they've read in the media will allege that the drone they saw in the park across the road was flying "over" their property without permission and spying on them -- for instance.

The other problem is that it is very common, where an enforcement agency lacks the resources to do their jobs properly, is when they decide to "make an example of someone" -- with the intention of warning others. In such cases they choose some low-hanging fruit and concoct as much of a case against them as they can -- regardless of the merits of that case. They then (usually very publicly) hit them with a huge fine and issue press releases saying "this should serve as a warning to others...".

That is neither fair nor just and does absolutely nothing to cultivate a sense of respect for the agency concerned. It paints them as a bully and, as a result, I fear that too many others will try to show their outrage by engaging in "acts of disobedience".

Let's hope CAA don't go down that path -- although, based on my own experiences, I feel it very likely that they will.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Screw » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:31 pm

That is the problem. If they want their new regs. to work properly they must have the resources to police them and treat breaches in a fair and reasonable way.

There are some idjits out there who would ignore the rules and they will spoil it for the genuine users. Those are the ones who need to have the regs. imposed on them not the decent users.

When the wildfire in the US recently set fire to some cars on the highway the helicopters with water buckets couldn't do their job because of the drones (some 20 of 'em) buzzing around. That is where the operators of the drones need a damned good smack-down.

You are a naughty boy Goosey. Go and stand in the corner or sit on the naughty chair! :mrgreen:
Screw

Postby mad » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:20 pm

UAV operators should make enquiries with their local authority or the Department of Conservation to clarify requirements for flying UAVs over public spaces. Checking the relevant web site is a good place to start.

Talk about a flaming cop out,

So according to CAA it is actually illegal to fly a UAV anywhere without the permission of the land owner, and all councils and public Authorities can now go off and make their own policy about what/where/when/why can be flown over "their" land...

This is going to end in a mess, and eventually the Central Government ( CAA) will be asked by local goverment to determine a national policy or guideline, but until that happens every council will get pressured by wowsers and "retired armchair aircraft pilots" who will demand they do something about this scurge or flying craft... what a F'ing disaster....

And they call this "world-class framework" what a joke
mad

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:44 pm

Actually mad, it's worse than that.

Previously, if you were flying in a park with the council's permission and some dick-head decided to run out into the area where the models were flying, *he* would be responsible for any injuries he sustained. Now, under the new regs, the RC model fliers would be in direct breach of the regulations whenever someone wanders onto the area they're flying over because they must have the prior permission of the owner *and* the occupiers of land they fly over.

This places a dreadful burden on anyone wanting to fly in a public place -- even if they do so with the consent of the property owner and means that flying is likely to become a rather "un-fun" pastime if you have to land and ask permission of anyone that walks onto the field over which you're safely flying.

There are many other aspects of these new regulations that are even worse but the over-riding impression is that they are *way* too rigid and don't allow for people to exercise reasonable judgment and commonsense. Now you may argue that commonsense is not very common but even our road-rules have allowance for this when they say that the speed limit is the posted number *or* a lower speed if conditions mandate it (I paraphrased this). By making such a rule, people are allowed to exercise their own judgment and treated like adults. There are few such freedoms in the new regulations "launched" today and that does not cultivate a culture of respect and compliance.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Screw » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:53 pm

I suspect that these regs. are the CAA testing the waters and hopefully common sense will prevail further down the track.
Screw

PreviousNext

Return to General News Discussion