CAA's EPIC FAIL!

Discussions about anything in the news

Re: CAA's EPIC FAIL!

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:53 pm

Compare CASA's (Australia's version of CAA) approach to regulating recreational drone use to CAA's. CASA says:

Australia’s Civil Aviation Safety Authority issues licenses to companies and employees for commercial use, and recreational users are free to play with their drones so long as they abide by a handful of safety rules, including keeping 30 meters away from other people and avoiding flying over places where there are crowds.

“As long as you follow those safety rules, you can fly to your heart’s content and have fun,” said CASA spokesman Peter Gibson.

CAA, you should be ashamed of your nasty regulatory over-reach when CASA appreciates the fact that people, even those who fly drones, have the right to enjoy themselves without unreasonable restrictions.

I'm not going to let this go... CAA didn't like me before -- they're going to HATE me by the time Christmas rolls around :->
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:17 am

Interesting to note that attempts to pass a law in California which would operate much like the new CAA regs in respect to requiring permission to fly a drone over someone's property has been called " a step too far" and has been strongly criticised.

From a Forbes article on the subject:

The proposed legislation makes it a trespass if a drone merely flies below 350 feet altitude above someone’s property. There’s no need to prove that the operator knowingly did so, there’s no need to prove that any privacy harm occurred, or that any image or video was gathered, and there’s no requirement that reasonable people find the action offensive.

Taking those proof elements out creates a piece of legislation that effectively prohibits overflights, without any showing that any harm has occurred. This is not a smart approach as it may seriously stifle innovation and countless legitimate uses of drones ranging from journalism, to real estate photography, to power line and utility inspections

If the state of California (where you can get jail time for removing the label from a mattress and virtually everything causes cancer) considers it unreasonable to ban the flying of drones over private property -- how come we have to endure such laws?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:22 am

And at last... someone tells the truth and presents the facts rather than the hysteria:

Fear of drones crashing into passenger planes is 'much ado about nothing' says airline pilot
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:12 pm

http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digit ... chases-dog

thats it
im demanding an end to equality
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:31 pm

Again... this shows how lazy CAA has been with these new regulations.

Firstly, they said they wanted local councils to set aside areas of parks and reserves where people could fly their models and drones -- but they didn't tell the councils that! So, when August 1 rolled around, councils all over the country were inundated with requests for permission to fly in the parks and reserves and most were completely unprepared for that. Some (such as South Waikato and Taupo) still haven't come up with a policy or procedures for dealing with this issue. Epic fail CAA.

Now the police are telling us that CAA hasn't given them any information or heads-up either. So, when members of the public make complaints like the one in that story, police are also caught on the back foot -- unaware of what's legal and what's not and what to do.

CAA has to be the laziest regulator we have.

Here's a video I did in which I explain why CAA's regulations are an epic fail and why regulation alone simply is not going to have any effect on "the drone problem". Warning -- it's a bit long (35 minutes). Sorry :-/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8tnUjP-sK4
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Screw » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:52 pm

Not only are they hopeless they are understaffed as well. And underfunded, not surprising really when we have a govt. that is so anti any gubbie dept.
Screw

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:51 am

LOL... another great data-point for my argument against excessive regulation of RC Models and drones:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/7132018 ... s-injuries

It seems that "flying cars" are more likely to cause damage and danger to people than drones or RC models. No driving within 4Km of an airfield? Drivers must get the permission of all other road-users before embarking on their journey?

LOL.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Screw » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:29 am

Not to mention those very dangerous occupations of Worm-farming and Lavender growing!
Screw

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:37 am

So true Screw. If you saw my video about why regulations fail (ie: a lack of *respect* for them by people whose intelligence they insult) then you can see why this government has become a joke.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby aardvark_admin » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:00 am

Wow... here's something I never realised until today...

CAA charges its hourly rate at 50% more than that of a Crown Solicitor's hourly rate.

I wonder how they manage that -- given that the average CAA worker probably has nothing like a law degree in terms of their qualifications.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General News Discussion