Potential scam?

Discussions about anything in the news

Potential scam?

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:03 am

I was listening on the news that government is trying to provide incentives for skilled immigrants to take up residence outside of Auckland for at least 12 months.

The method proposed for encouraging these immigrants to live in regional centres rather than AK is to give them more points on the scorecard that is used to determine their eligibility.

Can't you just see scheming minds already going to work on how to leverage this?

1. Create a shell company allegedly involved in a skilled trade or profession
2. Advertise jobs in the international media -- inviting overseas applicants
3. Tell the applicants that there's a $50K application fee but that these jobs will earn them more points with immigration so they'll be more likely to be granted residency
4. Offer $30K/pa in salary to these applicants
5. Take their $50K, pay them $30K, pocket the difference.
6. $profit$.

You then advise immigration that they have a job in a regional center (you can rent a small office anywhere) so they get their residency. Once in NZ, they effectively have 12 months to look around for a "real" job.

Imagine the profits that would be there to be made.

Start "Acme Technologies", hire 20 "skilled workers" from overseas at $30K/pa each ($600K outgoings) and pocket the $400K difference.

Not bad money for 12 months of simply hiring a serviced office and filling out a few forms.

I *bet* someone will try it.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Potential scam?

Postby Alexanders » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:11 am

As an immigrant or atleast someone who is in the process I do agree with you. There must be some steps to prevent such activities but I doubt there can be ever any
policy without loopholes though. What I hope is that after such regulations or policies are out, the quality of work in immig does not drop to let in anyone and everyone
regardless of skill sets.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I love to chat about technology, but I'm a marketing dude.
A digital project manager at Web design Christchurch, Alexanders.
Checkout some of my work in our website.
Alexanders

Postby phill » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:37 am

yeh im looking at the other side of that bit of brilliance
yayy more workers into the rural areas that already have a sinking job market
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:44 am

I agree, it's a great goal -- but it will be open to abuse.

Honestly, if the SWDC and CAA weren't so tied up with their petty politics and agendas against me, there would already be a couple of drone businesses operating here in the South Waikato -- at the Tokoroa Airfield. I'm pretty sure that there would be a snowballing effect and I know that some of those who have expressed interest in setting up such ventures were keen to hire local school-leavers and also hire-in graduates from places like AK uni. How sad therefore that they kick pragmatism to the curb in favour of exercising their own personal agendas :-(

And on the subject, I see that Tokoroa has gotten a mention in this month's North&South magazine -- as a shining example of how rural towns are in steep decline. Is it any wonder? Let's see how the SWDC try to turn this slap in the face into something they can crow about.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Screw » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:00 pm

Time to move to Selwyn then Bruce. They are looking for innovating people with good ideas and will help them take the ideas to fruition. Hell, we even have the Hon. Amy Adams as our Princess!

Just sayin', I realise that it's not possible but it shows the most councils are amenable to new ideas, you just have the misfortune to be where they don't.
Screw

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:35 pm

Well if anyone hears of a lifestyle property for lease (3-5 years) *anywhere* in the country, let me know! If I don't move I won't have *anywhere* to fly as of this weekend.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Screw » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:28 pm

I'll make some inquiries for ya Bruce.
Screw

Postby Screw » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:43 pm

One option is to contact the Ministry of Ed about leasing a closed school and grounds. Some are available throughout the country.
Screw

Postby Screw » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:24 pm

There a few places where there s land for lease around here but they are bare land and generally 60Ha or more. A general place to have a look at is the Taihape area too. The prices for land and rents there are lower than many other spots.
Screw

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:25 pm

The problem is that if it's bare land it has to be within "easy commuting" distance of my workshop :-(
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to General News Discussion