I told them

Discussions about anything in the news

I told them

Postby aardvark_admin » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:56 pm

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=11519465

If this thing was at 6,000 feet then it wasn't a multirotor -- it was fixed wing.

Fixed-wing drones of this size/capability aren't "store bought" things so this suggests the operator was an RC hobbyist and I seem to recall warning that CAA's failure to acknowledge the outstanding record of safety and responsibility that the hobby has earned over the decades was a dangerous error (here's the video in which I gave that warning).

I wonder if someone, feeling rather miffed that this record of safety and responsibility has counted for nothing, chose to just "have a go" and, as a result, we see an incident like this.

CAA need to stop dictating to, and start consulting with, the people over who they wish to have any influence -- or bad things will happen.

Sadly, as has been the case for so very long, CAA very much give the impression that they're not trying to stop bad things from happening -- just creating mechanisms for apportioning blame when they do.

Come on CAA - people's LIVES are at stake. Did you learn nothing from the Carterton Balloon incident?

Stop acting like a bunch of pompous pratts and do a proper job of engaging, consulting and working with the people who fly these things!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: I told them

Postby phill » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:59 pm

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/ ... with-plane

same story but ......

i wonder if its the same pilot that chased ufo's

according to one news it was either a drone or a microlight

fk me there is a visual difference between them
maybe it was a ufo.. or seagull
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby Screw » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:05 pm

phill wrote:http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/285334/drone-aircraft-in-near-miss-with-plane

same story but ......

i wonder if its the same pilot that chased ufo's

according to one news it was either a drone or a microlight

fk me there is a visual difference between them
maybe it was a ufo.. or seagull

Maybe it was a Martin Fanpack Phil! ;)
Screw

Postby phill » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:03 pm

silly boy
he said 6000 feet
not 6000 microns

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:07 am

From the latest media report on this story:

NZALPA was calling for the compulsory installation of "see-and-avoid technology" on drones, the compulsory addition of identity markings on drones as well as a comprehensive education program for all drone operators, not just co drone operators

Oh dear... does the NZALPA know that CAA is actively suppressing the development of the very technology they're clamoring for and which I was making significant progress before being threatened with criminal prosecution for doing so?

Does NZALPA know that because of CAA's new regulations, I'm having to give up the education and support services I've been offering freely to those who fly these drones -- services that I am totally confident have gone a long way to preventing damage to persons and property in many cases?

Perhaps it's time that someone told them.

Once again.. CAA *proves* that it's more interested in looking after its "mates" than it is in supporting any real initiative to make our skies safer in the era of drones.

Hypocritical bastards!

People *will* die due to CAA's highly political perspectives -- but of course (as was the case with the Carterton balloon incident), CAA has plenty of regulations in place to apportion blame in any direction but at themselves.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:48 am

... probably not ...
so
in an email to a few of the easier to find members ... tell them
a brief description of what you are developing plus
some history / links and
the enemy of my enemy ......

phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:58 am

I emailed them. Time for someone to wake up to the fact that politics is getting in the way of safety.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Screw » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:29 pm

Deaths are a cost of doing business Bruce. The CAA is more interested in revenue gathering than safety.
Screw

Postby phill » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:05 pm

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/ ... -drone-fly

lots of people seem to have lots to say
there is a chance that one or two might even know what they are talking about

phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:37 pm

Actually I read that and thought "how little these 'experts' seem to know".

For a start... the range of the average RC system these days is about 2.5-3.5Km -- well in excess of the 1.8Km being cited as the altitude for this "drone".

Secondly, just look on YouTube and you'll see plenty of videos of people flying multirotors and fixed-wing drones to astonishing heights
eg:

multirotor to 4.565Km altitude
fixed wing to 7.1Km altitude

What's more, long-range RC equipment (some of which I've been reviewing recently) can provide control over distances of up to 60Km or more.

Lots of experts who know nothing -- it seems that Ms Samantha Sharif has asked the wrong people for her information.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to General News Discussion