Bloody Windows!

Discussions about anything in the news

Bloody Windows!

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:33 am

There was a loud bang here this morning, just as I was loading up the truck to head off to the workshop for the day.

My wife called out "power's off" -- so I went back into the house, figuring if it was a brief outage I'd just hang around until the power came back on -- otherwise I'd power down my computers in an orderly fashion before the UPS shut down.

After 15 minutes it was clear that this wasn't a transient outage (the loud bang was a transformer that exploded down the road a ways) so I set about shutting down my computers.

The Linux box was easy -- about a 20 second operation and all done.

The Windows box... UGH!

When I hit shutdown it informed me that it was installing 1 of 12 updates and warned that turning off the power now would drain my bank account, bring a plague on my house and neuter my children.

WTF?

Why didn't it ask be if I wanted to install the updates before shutting down or defer the process until later?

So there I was... watching the update number *slowly* click over: 1 of 12, 2 of 12, 3 of 12... whilst at the same time, watching the bars on the UPS battery go from 4 to 3 to 2...

It was a real race -- and I figured that if the UPS won, my Windows system would be rooted.

What idiot at MS decided that the best time to install updates is when you're powering down and why didn't they give the option to defer such a process?

Fortunately I keep my UPS batteries reasonably well up to scratch so the UPS was only down to 2 bars by the time the Windows box finally shut down -- but if I'd waited another 5 minutes before deciding to start the shutdown process I'd probably be reinstalling Windows right now in an attempt to get the machine bootable again.

If ever I needed reminding as to why I only use Windows for video rendering, today was that reminder!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Bloody Windows!

Postby gbilski » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:38 pm

Agreed, it sucks that is the default, but the answer is easy. Just log out and then shut down from the logon screen. You get the choice to shut down without updating that way.
gbilski

Postby Screw » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:27 pm

Go to Control Panel and fire up the update. Set it for "ask me before updating" and then it will notify you when there is a update and you can choose what to do about it.

If'n ya do shut it down while updating all it will do is stall Winblows. Start it in safe mode then do a reboot. All will be good.
Screw

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:14 am

That's the interesting thing Screw... I do have updates set to ask before downloading and installing. WTF?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby gbilski » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:36 am

Microsoft can and do over ride that setting for what they consider essential updates. I was not too impressed when they did that with my servers at work, rebboting at some random times because of unknown updates. I went with using WSUS as a control method, not too practical for home users. Turning off a computer during installing updates can indeed damage a system and I strongly recommend against it, had to sort that problem a few times.
gbilski

Postby Screw » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:11 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:That's the interesting thing Screw... I do have updates set to ask before downloading and installing. WTF?

Turn off the updates completely and just check regularly for important ones. That'll fix that little problem. That is what I have done with mine and I have no problem at all.

Another point is to make your 'puters completely independent of the grid. Forget a UPS just get yaself a small 25w solar panel and a regulator (with your skills you should be able to knock up a simple one) a small 12v gel cell battery and a car adaptor. Put the solar panel in a window (preferably facing the sunny side) and it will run the 'puter.

A 25w panel is really cheap these days. all my 'puters and my DB's all are run that way.
Screw

Postby Alexanders » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:49 am

So freaking annoying. I have done what Screw mentioned as well, turned off the updates all together, but at work I cannot do that and that is battle almost every Friday at 4:55 pm. This thing starts to update some unnecessary crap and I have to wait and wait and wait.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I love to chat about technology, but I'm a marketing dude.
A digital project manager at Web design Christchurch, Alexanders.
Checkout some of my work in our website.
Alexanders

Postby enerider » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:04 pm

Alternative option: 360 Total Security has a "Patch up" option which will help sort the wheat from the chaff (in update terms).

And it'll fling the updates in while you're doing your thing in windows itself.

This is not a complete answer, but could help ease the pain?
enerider

Postby Screw » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:51 am

Good idea Rider. Anything that makes life easier is good for the soul!
Screw

Return to General News Discussion