Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

An unremarkable day (31 Aug, 2017)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:11 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2017/0831.shtml

Electronics... done it, now a very mature industry
Microcomputers... done it, now a very mature industry
Software... done it, now a very mature industry
Internet... done it, now a very mature industry
Drones... done it and over-regulation has killed the "buzz" by stifling innovation

So what's next?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: An unremarkable day (31 Aug, 2017)

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:19 am

How sad it is that my own "sense and avoid" technology has now left the country and is being further developed and tested by a European company -- almost entirely because there was just no way I could go further under our highly restrictive regulatory framework.

All I can say is ... bugger! :(
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby hagfish » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:35 am

The likes of Facebook started out as a tech story, but rapidly moved to being a cultural story. There's still a tech angle, but most non-geeks care more about warranties and cup-holders than compression ratios and torque curves.

A phone's 'ecosystem' is more important than how many cores and GHz it has. Performance-wise, flagship smartphones have simply gone from 'great' to 'even better'. Those are solved problems. Phones are a cultural phenomenon, now, rather than a tech phenomenon.

There's more going on in IT then ever, I think. The fields of AI, expert systems, brain-machine interfaces, speech/pattern recognition, automation (driving etc) are all full-steam ahead. Consumer gadgets may have reached maturity, but the cutting edge is still out there. Maybe not in people's garages, so much..
hagfish

Postby phill » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:42 am

hagfish wrote:
There's more going on in IT then ever, I think. The fields of AI, expert systems, brain-machine interfaces,

same as what i was thinking reading the article

electronic telekinesis

the possibilities are not limitless
but the number will be closer than you think

eminently suitable for some old fart with eclectic expertise
and we are on the very start of the evolution

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?ca ... chText=eeg
starty point for bitsy things
phill

Postby Weasel » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:09 pm

AI is the next big thing.
Weasel

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:14 pm

Weasel wrote:AI is the next big thing.

But according to Hawking and Musk, it'll kill us all! :lol:
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:17 pm

you cant move 10 feet in sil val without tripping over someone doing ai
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:24 pm

LOL... what goes around comes around. I remember when I was living and working in Auckland during the 1980s that there was a company there working on AI. From memory, their name may have even been "Expert Systems". They faded away.

Hell, AI is pretty much all hype (from what I can see at the moment). Expert systems with fuzzy logic can "emulate" intelligence but do we even have a single true AI system right now? There was an initiative to create computer-based neural networks that would simulate brain neurons and synapses which showed promise -- until it was discovered that much of the "progress" (such as a neural-net program that could automatically identify tanks in aerial photos of a war zone) were really uber-dumb and they simply responded to the fact that the photos that had tanks had all been taken on sunny days and the other photos were taken on cloudy days (fail!).

Edit: did a Google and found this. I was wrong, the tank pictures were taken on cloudy days and the others on sunny days.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Muscular Jam » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:28 pm

Sustainability? my smart phone messed up so when my finger touched one part of the screen it registered it on another part of the screen, effectively making it unusable. So I've bought a new one but even though it is much newer and more powerful there is no real improvement noticeable from my perspective. instead its a major PITA getting it set up just the way I had my old one. I actually felt sadness and grief over the loss of my old phone! I think we are approaching what Alvin Toffler called "Future shock", where people get tired of the learning curve of keeping up with technological change. He predicted a new market for devices that would protect people from visible change, so while people might hop from device to device they would take their familiar interface with them. Perhaps the "next big thing" is finding ways of making new things look and feel like old familiar things?
Muscular Jam

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:31 pm

Muscular Jam wrote:He predicted a new market for devices that would protect people from visible change, so while people might hop from device to device they would take their familiar interface with them. Perhaps the "next big thing" is finding ways of making new things look and feel like old familiar things?

Windows CE !!! :lol:
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Today's column