You know you're too busy when... (11 Sep, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

You know you're too busy when... (11 Sep, 2017)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:17 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2017/0911.shtml

Yes, I forgot/missed the renewal of the aardvark.co.nz domain name -- mea culpa!

However, my excuse is that life is whizzing by at an enormous (and ever-increasing) pace these days, as I struggle to do more work in less time.

Please feel free to offer your suggestions for a more efficient, productive day. What things have worked for you?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: You know you're too busy when... (11 Sep, 2017)

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:05 am

And there I was expecting an interesting column today on Vodafone's dumping of email ("ditch it as we can't fix it") and the responsibilities of an ISP and the services they are expected to provide. I spent most of my "free time" on the weekend looking for and configuring a replacement email to my old @es.co.nz address. Man, that's going to chew up a lot of time over the next months finding all those sites/contacts that I'll need to change.

As for time management, it's possibly a combination of two techniques: 'Just-in-time' processing and Chaos Theory. So do it now 'cause it needs to be done now (like domain names that expire today), which naturally leads to a totally chaotic mess!
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:09 am

I think we knew that Vodafone would be ditching email didn't we? Why *any* ISP runs their own email servers these days is the question.

For as long as I can remember, I've been telling people to ditch their @xtra.co.nz or @vodafone.co.nz addresses because it ties them to a single provider.

Hmm... maybe *that* is the reason that ISPs like to run their own mail servers :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Malcolm » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:41 am

ISPs hate email. It generates no revenue and is a significant fraction of their support costs. This is why Xtra outsourced to Yahoo, and then to SMX. 2Degrees doesn't offer email with new broadband accounts. I think more and more providers will not offer new email services with the exception of premium hosted ones.
Malcolm

Postby hagfish » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:42 am

Are you softening us up for the announcement that the Daily Dose will be easing back to Mon/Wed/Fri? :o

I change ISPs every couple of years, so moved to a third-party email provider in 2006. I sometimes open spam mail, because I see it so rarely - only every few months. That said, I don't get much email. I've been meaning to register a personal domain name and start using that, but updating every service I've signed up for over the last decade would be ... irksome.

SSDs and Threadripper chips could claw back some hours in your day, depending on what you're currently using for editing video.

Riding to the workshop kills two birds with one stone (commuting and exercise). The downside is that it risks killing more than just birds :/
hagfish

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:56 am

No, the daily dose will persist on a week-daily basis for the foreseeable future (acts of God and negligence notwithstanding :-))
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby roygbiv » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:22 pm

hagfish wrote: I've been meaning to register a personal domain name and start using that, but updating every service I've signed up for over the last decade would be ... irksome.

I use my own domain for e-mail and strangely enough had the same problem as Bruce a few weeks ago, nothing that the plastic could not fix in a few hours. The down side of your own domain is that some ELS uses my e-mail id as a spam sender. My mate who is an expert in this area says there is nothing I can do. My spam in-mail periodically gets filled with address unobtainable responses so have to empty my trash and spam folder regularly.

But, insofar as time management Bruce, you have made a good start by noting what tasks take up your day. There is no silver bullet but once you can account for every minute of the day you can determine which are the most productive minutes on tasks spent and go from there. Your first tool would be one which can collect this info with the minimum amount of effort and time spent !! :o
roygbiv

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:24 pm

I'm old-school and have a 3B1 notebook and pen in my pocket for the next week or so. No UPS or internet connection required! :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Glenn » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:09 pm

Make that 2 of us carrying a 3B notebook. Mine is a 3B1Croxley SKU113810.
Glenn

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:25 pm

Glenn wrote:Make that 2 of us carrying a 3B notebook. Mine is a 3B1Croxley SKU113810.

Snap! Same SKU here as well! :D
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Return to Today's column