Buying the media (13 Sep, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Buying the media (13 Sep, 2017)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:00 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2017/0913.shtml

What better way for a political party (Labour in this case) to curry favour with the state broadcaster than to offer them bountiful treasures, should they gain power?

Am I overly cynical?

The situation would be even more worrying if my cynicism was unjust -- because this means that Labour aren't even smart enough to work out that only a fool would increase the number of state-owned TV channels at a time when broadcast TV is seeing significant decline in the face of streaming and VOD options, particularly those from overseas operators such as Netflix.

In fact, I was thinking of voting Labour but in light of this blatant bribery or economic naivety (or both), I'll have to find someone else to vote for now.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Buying the media (13 Sep, 2017)

Postby goosemoose » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:26 am

I find it a bit weird myself too. After all the 'R' in RNZ stands for radio and not television. Mind you, you can't consider TVNZ a state broadcaster by any stretch of the imagination, its a junk channel. Unless what they mean by state is, for the government of the day. In which they may be correct. Because as a result TVNZ provides us with the National party nutjob Hoskings. That probably more than offsets any perceived left leaningness at RNZ by a large factor.
goosemoose

Postby hagfish » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:30 am

Winston's bright idea is to get me to pay for his voters' Seven Sharp and Coro St via a surcharge on my Internet connection. If they applied the surcharge only to landlines, it would probably be fairer...
hagfish

Postby phill » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:36 am

i see it as just reinstating channel 7 which was as close to a pbs channel we had
it was destroyed by national when they came in
there has been a background push to get it back ever since
i watched it a lot it had .. well what you expect from a good pbs channel
phill

Postby roygbiv » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:00 am

Bruce, you do have grounds for your cynicism but with TVNZ and its two channels of complete drivel would be the obvious choice to make a decent TV channel from. Perhaps this should be pointed out by one of the other parties. I would like to see TVNZ have a proper news at 6, thats a good place to start instead of a pseudo info/entertainment that drags it on for an hour. Five mins of RNZ news and I am more fully informed.
roygbiv

Postby goldedge » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:39 am

Hi Bruce, how can you be against the possibility of improved journalism in NZ given your past comments on the deplorable state
of investigative reporting in the past?

BTW The other partys in this election appear to be "promising" more treats in a not to subtle attempt to bribe the
voters?

My gut tells me that "huge" dollars are being sent the National parties way this election to secure the
farmers tax free water status, you will notice that no one in the media sees fit to mention that a
huge number of NZ farms are owned by large companies not small farming familys?

I would also imagine that investors, especially the larger ones do not want the fairness of a proposed the capital gains tax,
I would suggest they are likely to be contributing in large amounts also,
imagine the return on investment stopping a capital gains tax would represent to them.

What about our astounding suicide rates in NZ?
Subsidised electric vehicles?

Has any body noticed the international prices for oil are at historic lows but the price at the pump
is still very high relative to this cost?

I could go on, <g>
All i would suggest is that NZ is being run for the benefit of the wealthy and that is not most of your readers (I guess)
this needs to change in my opinion or our children and grandchildren are in for a rough ride.

Don't forget to vote.
goldedge

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:06 am

I'm not against improving journalism -- but I think it should be done efficiently and far more cleverly than just throwing a wad of money (beads and blankets) at the existing state broadcaster. This initiative should be funded by selling TVNZ while that SOE still has some value. As a state broadcaster, TVNZ does nothing (except return an ever-decreasing dividend).

Be smart -- be fiscally prudent *and* properly fund an independent taxpayer-owned broadcaster with high standards of journalism and integrity. It's not rocket science eh?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Malcolm » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:09 am

Basically it is a move to reinstate TVNZ 7 which was popular but not commercial. I am guessing they don't trust TVNZ management to keep it around which is why they are handing the public broadcasting to RNZ. Let TVNZ be an SOE to generate revenue for the country and let Hosking rant away on that while RNZ develops more quality non-commercial content.

Edit:

As for why Radio NZ? well they already have a good core of skilled/experienced broadcasters and journalists to draw on. Using an existing agency would reduce some admin costs as well. There already are a number of radio stations experimenting with video content in addition to their core broadcast. I think RNZ even has some video already going up on their website.
Malcolm

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:20 am

What I'd like to know, is "what is the business case for retaining taxpayer ownership (via SOE) of TVNZ?

Surely now is the perfect time to sell and use those funds to boost RNZ and its news gathering/reporting and investigative capacities.

Hell... what will the government do next -- bail out Sky TV?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:35 am

its an interesting cross road
im boiling it down to a basic set

will fta ( strict programming format ) survive with unlimited streaming
take
news 24/7 ( streaming )
or news at 6 ( fta format )
news 24/7 = whatever seems most able to be sensationalized at the time
with at 6 its a format .. ~ local then international then sport then social then weather ... u can roughly predict what bits to watch

so im thinking yes there is a case to say fta will survive in the long term ..
although to my mind its going to have to program more factual and less fiction
phill

Next

Return to Today's column