Drama in the skies (28 Mar, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Re: Drama in the skies (28 Mar, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:23 am

And forget drones endangering aircraft.... *THIS* is what we should be worried about: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... creen.html
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:57 am

Oh yes, and let's not forget this: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=12029273

Yep, drones are the *least* of a helicopter pilot's concerns, surely?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:09 am

Wow... lots of follow-up today. It seems that Mr Vaughan is still at it in this piece:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment ... d=12026175

Interesting observations from that story:

He's quoted as saying in respect to the drone theory "I'm trying to keep an open mind" -- despite the fact that he still asserts, in the total absence of any evidence, that it was probably a drone.

I also love this bit:
He was contacted by a woman who was passing the mine on the afternoon of the crash with her daughter when they noticed "bits of glass falling out of the sky".

After seeing the news they realised it was probably shattered plexiglass from the windscreen. Chunks of it were also found a few hundred metres away at the Waihi Fire Station.

So... they found the relatively small pieces of his broken windscreen -- but not one single piece of the alleged drone.

And then he has the nerve to say of those (like myself who choose to debunk his allegations) "The armchair pilots really annoy me."

Then, as if to put a nail in the coffin of the drone theory, he admits that there has been an 0.5% rate of windscreen failures in these aircraft -- so such a failure is hardly unprecedented, clearly having already happened five times before.

Investigative reporter my arse! :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:35 am

Be nice, Bruce. He's retired, isn't he?
If so . . .
From all form of mental exertion, as well?
Perry

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:28 pm

I wrote to the "journalist" who penned the latest report on Rob Vaughan's "drone crash" incident and cited the obvious holes in her piece as I did above. She reponded thusly:
If you are an expert in this field, and you think you have a new angle on this story, I’m happy to hear about it. But I would suggest cherry-picking facts to attack my reporting is not the way to achieve that. Why not say ‘I think there’s more to this windscreen angle, here’s some information you might not have seen’?

Sigh! Cherry-picking facts? That's worse than having no facts at all -- only speculation and hearsay?

Oh my god, how journalistic standards have fallen.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby aardvark_admin » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:28 pm

Oh my gawd... we really do need tougher drone regulations and mandatory registration of these things...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/travel-t ... be-balloon

Oh... hang on, it was just a balloon.

Well that's still good reason to toughen up on drone laws... right? :roll: :roll:
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby aardvark_admin » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:37 pm

Woah... hang on a bloody minute here.... (with reference to the story above):

Apparently there are virtually no restritions on balloons that carry a payload of less than 4Kg and a gas volume of less than 1.5 cubic metres, these are considered to be "free balloons" and are pretty much unregulated. Okay, so a balloon with less than 1.5 cubic metres of (say) hydrogen is only going to have a gross lifting capacity of around 1.8Kg... but that's still a sizeable mass to risk crashing your airliner into.

So you can launch a balloon with a total mass of nearly 2Kg (which could be 200g of balloon and a 1.5Kg steel bar hanging from it) and have it floating around an international airport without any problems at all. Indeed, in the article above a spokesperson for Airways said ""It [the balloon] was not a risk".

So can someone please explain how a free-floating balloon with a payload of up to 1.8Kg which *nobody* is controlling is "not a risk" but flying a 100g child's toy, operated with 100% control within 4Km of an airfield can see you landed with a $5000 fine due to the "risk" it represents?

Ludicrous! Clearly the regulators have not the slightest idea of how to calculate risk and if the Airways spokesperson thinks a free-balloon that might be carrying a payload of up to 1.8Kg (in the form of a steel bar even) is "no risk" but the mere sighting of a cheap plastic drone is enough to demand tougher regulation -- then there is a very clear agenda going on here -- or our regulators failed high school science.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:42 pm

i like the bit where
its an actual drone
until its proven not to be
and any false sightings are the fault of drones not the drama queens misidentifying them
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:17 am

Funny you should say that but I had a commercial pilot comment on one of my videos to say that he and his peers had been told to report all unidentified sightings as "drones". It doesn't get much clearer than this, that in some circles there is a very definite agenda.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:10 am

More evidence that *manned* aircraft pose an infinitely higher risk than drones do to other manned aircraft in our skies.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... field.html

Why isn't the world as outraged over this as they are every time a balloon is called a drone and threatens to kill hundreds? (LOL).
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Today's column