The sound of silence (5 Jun, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

The sound of silence (5 Jun, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:16 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/0605.shtml

Does anyone remember when we actually had silence as part of our lives?

Do we get enough "wind down" time these days?

Go back to the 1950s and people got weekends off work, no TV, no internet, radio that only broadcast until late evening and plenty of time for idle contemplation and recovery from the day's toils.

Is our lack of "down time" and constantly being immersed in a sea of RF energy causing physical and mental harm?

Why are there so many conflicting reports in respect to the effects of EMF and RF on the human body?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: The sound of silence (5 Jun, 2018)

Postby latewings » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:52 am

Slight drift from topic:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F.lux.

F.Lux was recently suggested by the Auckland Astronomy Group's visiting lecturer John Barantine from the International Dark Sky Association as a good way to reduce blue light before retiring to bed. As a side note he lamented the increased use of white LEDs for street lighting over low pressure sodium lights for the same reason; the spectrum of those lights is too far into the blue range, which is further disrupting circadian patterns.
latewings

What Is Progress?

Postby Perry » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:22 am

If one is more broadly reflective and goes back even further, the awful perils that were to befall humanity were manifold. Things like motor vehicles and aeroplanes were seen as the antithesis of all it was to be human. Perhaps even radio and telephony? Terrifying things were sure to occur if such instruments-of-the-devil became commonplace.
Perry

Postby latewings » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:29 am

Things like motor vehicles and aeroplanes were seen as the antithesis of all it was to be human.

Steady on. Talk like that and I might need to raise an eyebrow...
latewings

Postby mad » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:23 am

Bruce, that article you link to lost me as the point it said

"Like all North Americans, Canadians are unaware that the wireless and telecommunications, and electric power industries control virtually all levels of government in North America! Only the Internet reveals that cancer clusters are not uncommon in jurisdictions around the world that have allowed cell phone towers!”"

I think that if the locals in Green Bank West Virginia were living cancer free someone might have noticed it...
mad

Postby Kiwiiano » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:33 am

The French report does have a somewhat breathless quality about it, but little if any actual evidence of measured harm from RF. We're bathed in radiation from the moment we're concieved if only from the microwave reverberations of the Big Bang, various outputs from the Sun & the rest of the Cosmos, plus radioactivity from stones and bricks on our dwellings etc. I don't know how we survive....well actually, we don't. Eventually.
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm right 98% of the time, so who gives a damn about the other 3%?"
Kiwiiano

Postby Malcolm » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:40 am

latewings wrote:Slight drift from topic:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F.lux.

F.Lux was recently suggested by the Auckland Astronomy Group's visiting lecturer John Barantine from the International Dark Sky Association as a good way to reduce blue light before retiring to bed. As a side note he lamented the increased use of white LEDs for street lighting over low pressure sodium lights for the same reason; the spectrum of those lights is too far into the blue range, which is further disrupting circadian patterns.

To be fair it isn't the LEDs that are the problem, it is the choice of the colour temperature. They could just as easily make them a warm white instead of the harsh blue they currently choose.
Malcolm

Postby latewings » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:38 pm

To be fair it isn't the LEDs that are the problem, it is the choice of the colour temperature. They could just as easily make them a warm white instead of the harsh blue they currently choose.

Exactly. Auckland Council have decided to go with 4000k (https://at.govt.nz/media/310324/atcop_section_19_street_lighting.pdf section 2.2) with an expected 20 year lifespan.

NZTA also prefer 4000k, but do state in (https://www.nzta.govt.nz/assets/resources/specification-and-guidelines-for-road-lighting-design/docs/m30-accepted-luminaires.pdf) that 3000k can be used.

The preferred value of CCT for road lighting is 4000K (neutral white). Consideration may be given to the use of 3000K (warm white) nominal
CCT in areas of special environmental consideration (such as Dark Skies reserves) or high pedestrian use, but only where vehicular
movements and speeds have been managed to mitigate the potential conflicts between cars/trucks and pedestrians/cyclists

The International Dark Sky association makes an interesting point that 3000k LEDs are cheaper than 4000k. (http://darksky.org/lighting/3k/) so there's not a great deal of argument in the change from yellow sodium to 4000k when 3000k would do the job.
latewings

Postby goosemoose » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:13 pm

Luckily (or not!) I live in a quiet RF zone. No real cell phone signal so they're off all the time. The only decent radio reception you get is via satellite (Freeview). I can get decent radio when I use my ham radio antennas for reception but sometimes thats flaky. Mind you we've got wireless internet so that probably counts for something! But when all said and done its relatively RF quiet here.
goosemoose

Postby hagfish » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:29 pm

Perry wrote:If one is more broadly reflective and goes back even further, the awful perils that were to befall humanity were manifold. Things like motor vehicles and aeroplanes were seen as the antithesis of all it was to be human. Perhaps even radio and telephony? Terrifying things were sure to occur if such instruments-of-the-devil became commonplace.

There's a cute story from a while back where residents were blaming a nearby cell tower for all manner of medical conditions - rashes, tinnitus, headaches. The local comms provider held a meeting, asked about their myriad symptoms, and calmly informed them that the tower had already been switched off for six weeks.

If anything, close proximity to a cell tower reduces ones exposure to RF, because your main source of exposure - your own phone - no longer has to shout.

I preferred the old sodium-vapour lamps. At night, our eyes use their 'rods' which aren't great picking colours, but are very sensitive to light, and extend to the peripheral vision. Perfect for use at night, you'd think. These new LEDs blind my poor rods, and mean I have to rely on the cones packed around my foveas. Yes - I can see a pool of stark daylight under each lamp, but the rest of the world disappears into blackness... I'm sure they're cheaper to run, tho, and am looking forward to the commensurate drop in my rates bill.
hagfish

Next

Return to Today's column