A matter of taste (9 Jul, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

A matter of taste (9 Jul, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:56 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/0709.shtml

Yay... as my colds abate, I have recovered at least a small amount of my sense of taste -- which is just as well because life was getting pretty boring when the only difference between the foods I was eating was texture.

I'm not looking forward to the eventual disappearance of my sense of taste completely (if that happens) but there are up-sides.

Meanwhile, I'm having fun exploring super-hot and super-spicy foods that were previously something I simply could not eat.

Just a little page from my Parkinson's diary... tomorrow I'll return you to a tech subject.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: A matter of taste (9 Jul, 2018)

Postby latewings » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:04 am

latewings

Postby hagfish » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:58 pm

If you still have access to sweet, salt, sour, bitter, umami - there's plenty that will tingle those tastebuds. If I'm feeling poorly, the sweet bite and burn of cold bottled lemonade always cuts through. With cooking, a rich dashi can be a good foundation. Throw in some crunchy sprouts and a dash of Sriracha and you're living the life.

At least there's no need to gaze up longingly at those Islay malts - any gut-rot blend will do!
hagfish

Postby pctek » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:04 pm

Husband has that. His (and son) always had a poor sense of smell, now with age, husband lost it.
Salt, sweet etc doesn't cut it.

he exists on texture, become a fan of home made chips now.

And home made bread....the crusty...He hates chilli, burning sin't a flavour actually.

I know a few people who lost their sense of smell (Cause that is what it is), and none of them like chilli, even the ones who used to.

It sucks for sure.
pctek

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:10 pm

Dead right pctek... texture becomes everything.

However, I do kind of like the tingling on my lips that chilli creates... not a taste but at least it's a sensation. Pepperoni however, produces just a burning sensation that isn't pleasant -- likewise jalapenos -- too much heat but no tingle.

The most annoying thing is the disappointement when you tuck into a food, the taste of which you fondly remember, to find that all you have is texture and that the taste is simply a memory.

Mind you, I'm pretty sure I'll have no problem losing some weight now. I only eat to ease the pangs of hunger these days, not for the pleasure of eating.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:14 pm

saw a bit on tv tonight
if you have no saliva in your mouth you cannot taste anything

so
if we find / block the part of the tongue that has those receptors and take away the smell
we can cure obesity quite easily
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Return to Today's column