Now that's just silly... but wow! (26 Jul, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Now that's just silly... but wow! (26 Jul, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:36 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/0726.shtml

I think everyone would have to agree that the zoom capabilities of the Nikon Coolpix P1000 are astonishing.

But is it a camera that has more novelty appeal than practical use applications?

And what about the privacy implications of such a device when in the hands of a bad-actor?

Are you tempted to buy one?

Should such capabilities be freely available in an era where "privacy" seems to be one of the big buzzwords?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Now that's just silly... but wow! (26 Jul, 2018)

Postby latewings » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:15 pm

Are you tempted to buy one?

Nope. I prefer to be closer to the subject as the field of view doesn't flatten out quite so much. Haze and atmospheric distortion will render a zoom of that magnitude useless in practical conditions.
latewings

Postby phill » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:29 pm

so if we can get a satellite linked RC cheap
and an efficient fuel motor
we can build a mini global hawk equivalent for under $10k

i guess we could use a sat phone .. but the data rates are hideous

https://www.bluecosmo.com/high-denomina ... cards.html
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby Muscular Jam » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:36 pm

I enjoy messing about with astrophotography, but I've only got a $5 tripod from dx.com and a budget point and shoot with 18x zoom and 20mp so I've pretty much hit the limit with what I can do with that hardware. I'd looked into getting a DSLR and a telescope but that is way out of my price range, and to be honest probably out of my skill range, so even if I had the money I don't think I'd spend that much on what is only a hobby.

For someone like me the P1000 is very interesting. Its nearly in my price range and with a bit of grovelling and pleading I could possibly get one for Christmas. Sure it won't get me into the pro range of astrophotography like nebulae and star clusters but for what I do it would be ideal. Add some freeware stacking software like deepskystacker and the possibilities become very interesting. At 1.5kg I'd definitely need a better tripod though!
Muscular Jam

Return to Today's column