Bulbs, Bulbs & Bullshit

Discussions about anything in the news

Bulbs, Bulbs & Bullshit

Postby Perry » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:39 am

I have a few places which use 200W incandescent BC bulbs. (Shock! Horror!)

I've run out of spares and getting replacements is not easy!

Of course, I run into all the sales pitches for LEDs and such.

When I press the issue and ask if these people have actually read the reports, the answer is mostly NO.

From what I've been able to glean, those tens-of-thousands-of-hours running life are quite misleading. Deceptive in the sense that there was only one-on, one-off switching per day. More frequent daily switching heavily erodes the life expectancy.

In my applications, usage would be measured in minutes per month, except one, which is on/off quite a few short times a day via a depresser (2 min. timer) switch, so still amounts to only a few hours illumination a months.

Question One
Is the information I have correct - in that the much vaunted life expectancy (CFLs and LEDs) is reduced heavily by frequent on/off switching?

Question Two
Anyone know of a supplier of 200w incandescent BC bulbs? I'll take a slab.

Oh, I can get a circa 2600 lumen LED BC bulb, but @ $25, that should buy a lot of 200w incandescents. (If I can get them)
Perry

Re: Bulbs, Bulbs & Bullshit

Postby phill » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:22 am

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/220V-LE ... 4c4dDtmygp

i have had the 30w in my kitchen for 6 months .. lots of on / offs and it is really bright
it ended the led / cf gloom that was caused by overstating the brightness of replacement bulbs

from pulling a few premature dead el chepo led lights apart .. its often the electrolytic cap that dies ... a simple soldering job with better quality ones to 2nd life them
Last edited by phill on Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:00 am

I still use a 200W (equivalent) incandescent bulb in my home-office. Can't get 200W bulbs as such but you can get the Philips 140W halogen ones at our supermarket which claim to have the same number of lumens as the old 200W conventional bulbs. These have a regular bayonet fitting and inside the larger frosted glass envelope they have a small quartz envelope with the filiament and some kind of halide I guess.

Here's the data sheet (where it says 190W equivalent, even though the box says 200W equivalent):
https://www.assets.lighting.philips.com ... -pss-en_nz

Bunnings seem to have them too:
https://www.bunnings.co.nz/philips-halo ... _p00164394
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:55 pm

Thanks. I already use some EcoClassic 140W bulbs elsewhere, but I hadn't appreciated that they had such a high lumens rating.

Ali Express did not seem to have much in BC bulbs - mainly ES.
Perry

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:37 pm

Yes, NZ is out of sync with the mainstream. We have bayonet bulbs instead of ES, we drive on the left-hand side of the road and we have our seasons at the wrong time of the year :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:01 pm

And our switches are the wrong way up (or down) - although switchboard stuff has been slowly changing.

Besides new-cue-lah, we pronounce aluminium all wrong, too.(

And - worst of all - with our date notations: we put the day before the month. (Stuffed and other media excluded)
Perry

Postby phill » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:12 pm

i bit the bullet a few years ago for that reason
changed all my bayonets to edison fittings
quite cheap on aliexpress
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Return to General News Discussion