Oh the irony -- or should I say hypocrisy?

Discussions about anything in the news

Oh the irony -- or should I say hypocrisy?

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:35 pm

National Party sued over Eminem copyright infringment

Hasn't JK been outspoken in is criticism of KD for alleged copyright crimes?

Surely this must demand a resignation from JK who is willing to bend and break NZ's laws on surveillance and seizure on the grounds of dealing with alleged copyright infringements and then turns out to be the leader of a party that is just as guilty?

Will JK resign?

Of course not -- that would be the action of a man with integrity and honour.

No... JK will simply say "I was unaware of this"

And JK can thank is lucky stars that the TPPA isn't signed yet or his party would be in vastly greater trouble than it is now over this infringement. Once the USA's copyright laws come into force they'd probably be fined tens of thousands of dollars for each and every person who'd heard the unauthorised use of that track -- effectively bankrupting them.

JK... you reap what you sow.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Oh the irony -- or should I say hypocrisy?

Postby Screw » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:47 pm

Of course he won't Bruce, our Johnny is too aloof for such mundane things.

That's a spooky pic of Sleazy Steve Joyce too.
Screw

Re: Oh the irony -- or should I say hypocrisy?

Postby Screw » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:05 pm

Werewolf has a good post on our Johnny!

The government has violated privacy and increased the powers of the surveillance state.

For a political party that in Opposition made so much of the horrors of the ” nanny state,” National in office has become the new best friend of the Deep State. Famously, the Key government has passed the GCSB and Related Legislation Act, which enables the GCSB to spy on New Zealanders ; for good measure it then passed the Telecommunications Interception Capability and Security Act, which gives sweeping interception and monitoring powers over our digital traffic to the same grey bunch of spymasters, whose weakness for illegal behaviour has already been well established.

The concern is not simply that the powers of the GCSB have been significantly expanded. No effective Parliamentary or judicial oversight exists of either the SIS or GCSB. To cap off this dismal picture, the Minister nominally in charge of these agencies (ie. John Key) has proved to be remarkably shifty about the process by which his old chum Ian Fletcher was chosen in late 2011 to head the GCSB. Finally, Key has professed serial ignorance of (a) the existence of the flamboyant German millionaire living in New Zealand’s biggest mansion within Key’s own electorate (b) the then-pending FBI/Police raid on Kim Dotcom and (c) the suspiciously speedy and selective response by the SIS to an OIA request by blogger Cameron Slater, and which happened to embarrass Labour leader Phil Goff.

Throughout the period National has been in office, state power has been vastly expanding at the expense of individual rights, and with minimal independent or ministerial oversight. A lot of our expanded surveillance activities – many of the details have been exposed by Edward Snowden – have been at the behest of the US, via our role as an obedient member of the Five Eyes intelligence sharing partnership.

From Here.
Screw

Return to General News Discussion