Good on ya Newstalk ZB

Discussions about anything in the news

Good on ya Newstalk ZB

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:56 pm

At least *one* media outlet has been listening to me:

https://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/news/natio ... -hysteria/

What a shame the rest remain closed-eared about things.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Good on ya Newstalk ZB

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:19 pm

And here's my take on the whole incident:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AXHceBtICk
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby SeeNoEvil » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:23 pm

Drone incident with Police Eagle helicopter

Tuesday, 1 January 2019 - 9:25am
National News

The Police Eagle helicopter operations were suspended in the early hours of this morning after a very near miss with drones.

Shortly after midnight on 1 January, while flying over spaghetti junction at just under 1400 feet, the pilot spotted a drone flying in extremely close proximity to Eagle – within 10 metres – and as a result the pilot took immediate evasive action to avoid a serious collision.

At the same time there were thought to be two other unauthorised drones in the immediate vicinity.

The Pilot and crew were shaken after evasive action was taken. After the helicopter was checked over thoroughly the flight crew were interviewed by local Detectives.

The Eagle helicopter operations were suspended for the rest of their shift as a precautionary measure and to allow investigations to take place. Police will work closely with the Civil Aviation Authority.

Eagle is now fully operational as normal.

Inspector Jim Wilson, Acting District Commander Auckland City, said: “Our Police helicopter is responsible for saving lives and keeping our community safe. The actions of these people in flying a drone dangerously close to the Eagle helicopter is totally irresponsible and Police will investigate thoroughly.

“This could easily have ended in a tragedy and it is a worrying reminder of the dangers of flying drones near other aircraft.”

The incident marks what was otherwise a mostly well-behaved New Year’s Eve across the country.

ENDS

Issued by Police Media Centre

Source: http://www.police.govt.nz/news/release/drone-incident-police-eagle-helicopter
SeeNoEvil

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:36 pm

I particularly like this bit:

At the same time there were thought to be two other unauthorised drones in the immediate vicinity.

Now that is reporting pure speculation in order to ramp up the hysteria.

Did anyone see two other drones? Seems not -- someone just thought their was.

Outrageous!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby SeeNoEvil » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:33 pm

Tony Monk appeared on the TV1 News tonight (about a minute in) indicating that he was in the same area in a different helicopter at the same time and that there were three drones. He has apparently lodged a complaint with the CAA.

Maybe you should speak to him Bruce before indulging in too much speculation yourself?

http://www.tonymonkfilms.com/contact/
SeeNoEvil

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:57 pm

I saw that piece... but given that he was filming the fireworks... where's *HIS* footage of the drone(s)????

Remember, he's also a commercial pilot whose livelihood is threatened by drone technology -- which might just taint his perspective of whether something was a drone, a Chinese lantern or a balloon.

All that tech... no evidence!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:04 pm

just because someone is up in a helicopter filming news doesnt mean that if a drone came by that interupted his filming
that he would film that instead
makes perfect sence to .... ahh crap i almost made it all the way through that bit
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:29 pm

Another fact that nobody seems to be considering is... why the hell are they using a manned helicopter to film fireworks in the first place?

Using a drone would be much cheaper and safer because, as we know, helicopters crash quite frequently. In fact in the December CAA briefing, the director general of CAA states:

What is the most dangerous occupation in NZ – in terms of worker fatality rate? No, it’s not forestry, or construction, or agriculture. Sadly, civil aviation can claim the title and the correct answer is ‘commercial helicopter pilot’. Based upon 2011 to 2017

So CAA are telling us that commercial helicopter operations are *VERY* dangerous -- so surely we should be more concerned that a dangerous, commercial helicopter operation is allowed to take place over a built up area solely to perform a task that could far more safely be performed by a drone with onboard cameras.

What would you prefer to fall on your head or your house -- a small drone with a camera -- or a turbine-powered helicopter and passengers???

And, as if to make the point, look what happened just today: https://nz.news.yahoo.com/pedestrian-ki ... 51139.html

Remember -- the death toll due to recreational drone operations remains a big fat ZERO -- world-wide, in the entire history of the human race.

Yet, every year, people are killed in/by helicopters both here and around the planet.

Hysteria over drones -- greatly unjustified!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Return to General News Discussion