GPS version of Y2K in just six weeks (15 Feb, 2019)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

GPS version of Y2K in just six weeks (15 Feb, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:56 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2019/0215.shtml

A binary overflow issue will affect the US-based GPS system on April 6th but will the effects be as bad as some reports are suggesting?

I doubt it.

The reality is that this has happened twice before and the sky did not fall.

If your GPS system was purchased since 2010 then odds are it will be fine and many modern receivers also pick up signals from the Russian and European satellites which are apparently unaffected by this issue.

However, let's just sit back and watch the worlds media go mad on this with predictions of doom and disaster -- just like back a the turn of the millennium.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: GPS version of Y2K in just six weeks (15 Feb, 2019)

Postby Muscular Jam » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:01 am

aardvark_admin wrote:However, let's just sit back and watch the worlds media go mad on this with predictions of doom and disaster -- just like back a the turn of the millennium.
I had a flatmate back then who worked as an IT consultant for very large organisations, banks etc. He was working #$%@ hard and having nightmares about it a few years beforehand. By the time the media got wind of it and started spreading panic the situation had already been resolved at that level. The systems really at risk were the small ones that didn't get supported. I only know of a couple personally that failed, both ancient amateur radio software.
Muscular Jam

Postby phill » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:59 am

i .. probably like a heap of others
own a 10 plus year old track fish ( gps plotter / fishfinder combo )
i just love the thought of another grand plus purchase for the boat
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:54 am

Muscular Jam wrote:I had a flatmate back then who worked as an IT consultant for very large organisations, banks etc. He was working #$%@ hard and having nightmares about it a few years beforehand. By the time the media got wind of it and started spreading panic the situation had already been resolved at that level. The systems really at risk were the small ones that didn't get supported. I only know of a couple personally that failed, both ancient amateur radio software.

Wot he said! I was also in IT at the time (still am, for my sins) and can confirm that there was a LOT of effort put in behind the scenes in the 1-2 years leading up to the rollover. The predictions of doom would have been on the mark if the work hadn't been done.
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby Perry » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:19 pm

Bruce wrote:However . . . you should consider brushing up on your basic navigation skills because apparently this is something we are rapidly losing in the age of SatNav systems.

You sure that's all we're losing? :twisted:
Perry

Postby roygbiv » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:44 pm

Well, the septics no longer have a monopoly on GPS satellites or technology, provided by their ex-military 70s technology. So, Like Y2K it will be a non-event.
The world will carry on on either with or without them.
roygbiv

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:49 am

Great to see that the sensationalist media never gives up on hyping things out of all sense of reality:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/new ... d=12211529
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Return to Today's column