This and that (1 May, 2019)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

This and that (1 May, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed May 01, 2019 8:46 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2019/0501.shtml

It's cold -- below freezing here this morning.

And, in the UK, bureaucrats and politicians are in full swing, demonstrating how stupid they are.

Goodbye to the once-popular hobby of flying model aircraft I guess.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: This and that (1 May, 2019)

Postby goosemoose » Wed May 01, 2019 11:46 am

Wuss :D First frost here, end of Feb.

On the subject of small databases, 5M sounds cheap. Don't forget IT today has been taken over by bullshitters and losers, paper pushers extraordinaire. They won't have an IT bone in their body but they'll insist on a massive paper trail because they don't know what they're doing. Obviously they'll be ignorant highly paid "experts" involved too. IT work involved, perhaps a week. BS and paper pushing nonsense, 9 months+. The thing won't work either or run on a massive AWS infrastructure. :x
goosemoose

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Wed May 01, 2019 2:51 pm

Don't forget it'll be cloud-based, virtual, and either Microsoft Azure or IBM Softlayer. That'll leave little change out of a few million quid. Oh, and only 20% of the project is the actual hardware/software costs: we've got to include the consultants! Of course it could all run from a single server in a corner office, but where's the free lunches in that?
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby roygbiv » Wed May 01, 2019 9:21 pm

It was a little pearl harbour around my way early this morning too.

mmmm, my take on this UK Drone registration charge is the result of the government being seen to do something after the Gatwick Airport drone incidents of a while back. It is a 'Government mandated UK Drone Registration Scheme' the result of which I am guessing will be that nothing will happen, it is just a scheme. I had a look at the paper and some links it referred to, I was looking for the legal definition of what a drone was, the nearest I got was a UAS or unmanned aircraft system - used by UK CAA. 'model aircraft' is also grouped with 'drone' so Bruce you are correct. But, CAA also used the term tethered UAS, which could include be interpreted as a kite under the loosely defined terminology.
So children, you may be in for a nasty shock.

Key questions, where did GBP16.50 come from, or expected 170,000 registrations, that will encourage a response when budding entrepreneurs get their calculators out. I hope the serious entrepreneurs do their due diligence.
It is all so vague that it may just get blown away in the wind.
roygbiv

Postby Weasel » Thu May 02, 2019 7:48 am

5.5mil for a DB of that size is a little on the high side. Comparing it to running something you cooked up on your desktop is apples vs oranges. Do not run production applications on non HA infrastructure. Anything less is laziness/corner cutting, and you'll get what you pay for in the end.

IT may have been taken over by "bullshitters and losers" in some corners, typically govt run and badly run private companies. Frankly you're insulting a large number of very talented and hardworking people by saying that.

You'll find that in the case of revenue sensitive environments where downtime = lost revenue big time, they tend to employ people that know what they're doing and resource them to build reliable systems. Here's an example, a team of 3 network engineers can build and operate the networking infrastructure across 3 private data-centers that contain around 20,000 VMs in an HA environment. Engineers with that skill level are not cheap, retaining them for 5+ years even harder, and you cant tell them how to do their jobs, you throw problems at them to solve and let them get on with it. I could employ 6 or 7 less experienced engineers for the same cost, and I betcha the result will be less than half as good, which means I'd spend all my time micromanaging and figuring out how to cover my a$$ with bureaucracy, and that's not what management is about in the real world :-)
Weasel

Return to Today's column