Politics, media, internet - which will win? (2 May, 2019)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Politics, media, internet - which will win? (2 May, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu May 02, 2019 9:11 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2019/0502.shtml

Can an old gray-haired guy on the backside of the planet lead a call to arms that will leverage the media to thwart a political attempt (perhaps driven more by ignorance and incompetence than intent) to destroy a valuable hobby and catalyst for innovation and technology?

Do you agree that simply writing a letter to your MP is unlikely to produce the same results as a concerted media campaign designed to swing the minds and hearts of the general population in favour of your cause?

Is it time to put the media's desire to earn a buck to some positive use for a change?

And are you surprised that such a popular hobby has no global umbrella body to provide international representation and coordination?

What are my chances -- is it worth this crusade or shall I put my undies back on the inside of my trousers? :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Politics, media, internet - which will win? (2 May, 2019

Postby goosemoose » Thu May 02, 2019 10:54 am

Headline you need:

"Busybody govt taxes and regulation will add $1000's to your drone delivered tat and pizza's"
goosemoose

Postby Perry » Thu May 02, 2019 11:47 am

Never mind the chances - at least you're doing something. Even if only planning, at present.

All that's needed for evil to flourish is that the good do nothing, comes to mind.

And you're certainly right about votes counting.

Any prospect of a well known and highly regarded "champion voice" figurehead to front it all?

What about some sort of mass "fly-in" somewhere like over the white cliffs of Dover, with media and TV invited?

Such an event also needs to be filmed by a private camera group, so there are ready answers to the cut-and-paste deception so beloved by the sycophantic media.
Last edited by Perry on Thu May 02, 2019 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Perry

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu May 02, 2019 11:59 am

Yes Perry, I actually have been thinking of organising a *global* mass fly-in where people around the world will, at the same instant in time, all fly their RC models -- with the media standing by and reporting. The largest number of RC models in the air around the world at any one time perhaps. That's got to be worth a headline or two and if nobody is killed, no airliners are downed -- well that's got to be a bonus eh? :-)

I'm also working on a video that will show the public exactly how important the hobby has been, currently is, and will remain -- in the context of its contributions to aviation, aerospace, science and mental health -- all well proven positive spin-offs from this activity. Unlike my previous videos, this one will be aimed fairly and squarely at "Joe Average Citizen" -- not the model-flying community. No point in preaching to the chior, you have to preach to the great unwashed.

Since there's no global coordinating body -- I guess I'll just have to take on the responsibility of organising and making this happen.

Wish me luck :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Thu May 02, 2019 12:32 pm

dont forget the various branches of civil defence .. urban fire monitoring and patrol , wild fire mapping and monitoring (otherwise done by taking a helo away from fighting the fire ) search and rescue , shark spotting , beach Patrol, rescue flotation device delivery , news and media coverage , and soon emergency medical deliveries
ok most of these are not done ( yet ) in new zealand .. but dont blame the drones for that ... well ok blame the drones .. just not the mechanical ones
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Return to Today's column