Register, register, register (13 May, 2019)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Register, register, register (13 May, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon May 13, 2019 9:25 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2019/0513.shtml

Does registration really do *anything* to reduce crime?

According to the Canadian experience -- no, it simply wastes enormous amounts of money to no effect.

However, that looks unlikely to stop the NZ government from demanding the registration of guns, drones and probably anything else they think they can get away with.

Why do we have a parliament filled with dullards who can't take advantage of overseas experience to help them decide what works and what doesn't?

Why do we have to make the same mistakes as the rest of the world -- at great cost and imposition on responsible, law-abiding citizens?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Register, register, register (13 May, 2019)

Postby phill » Mon May 13, 2019 10:17 am

headless chooks have no ears
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby goosemoose » Mon May 13, 2019 10:48 am

It should be a relatively simple system to have a register of guns. I know its a ridiculous idea and won't solve anything but the masochist in me is quite intrigued by what they'll cook up. $100 million plus I reckon. Done by IBM, Accenture or one of those useless outfits.
goosemoose

Postby paulw » Mon May 13, 2019 3:50 pm

goosemoose wrote:It should be a relatively simple system to have a register of guns. I know its a ridiculous idea and won't solve anything but the masochist in me is quite intrigued by what they'll cook up. $100 million plus I reckon. Done by IBM, Accenture or one of those useless outfits.

They could just attach it to NovaPay. What could go wrong??
paulw

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon May 13, 2019 4:56 pm

paulw wrote:
goosemoose wrote:It should be a relatively simple system to have a register of guns. I know its a ridiculous idea and won't solve anything but the masochist in me is quite intrigued by what they'll cook up. $100 million plus I reckon. Done by IBM, Accenture or one of those useless outfits.

They could just attach it to NovaPay. What could go wrong??

Apparently they're still looking to repurpose some of the INCIS code -- there's a thought! :lol:
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Mon May 13, 2019 6:49 pm

Implacably slow to learn from the lessons of others is the mantra of the Wellie woodenheads and their sycophants.
Perry

Postby roygbiv » Mon May 13, 2019 9:12 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:that won't stop our politicians from exploiting any opportunity to curry more anti-gun hysteria

Atrocity in Christchurch, one man, a few guns - if that did not curry up anti-gun hysteria I don't know what would. Or, we could just do nothing.
A register would not be a step in the right direction? Would it solve anything, don't know, would it with other restrictions make it harder for such low life to get guns - I hope so. It will add weight to the hope that this will never happens again in NZ.

As for drones, whatever rules they bring in, they will be about as effective as the CAA rule about flying kites near airfields - no kite flier will know what they are.
roygbiv

Postby Perry » Mon May 13, 2019 10:48 pm

roygbiv wrote:. . . would it with other restrictions make it harder for such low life to get guns - I hope so.
The way that story reads, it seems it would not.
Perry

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue May 14, 2019 3:31 am

roygbiv wrote:Would it solve anything, don't know, would it with other restrictions make it harder for such low life to get guns - I hope so. It will add weight to the hope that this will never happens again in NZ.

Well given the number of firearms that are already in NZ and the number that are already in the hands of bad actors here, registration is nothing more than a "look, we've done something" act on the part of government.

Registration does not make it any harder for criminals with evil intent to steal a gun from its lawful owner.

One must also ask (the acid test), if we already had gun registration, would that have prevented the Mosque shootings? I suspect not, especially given that the government has said it won't be placing any limits on the caching of guns by private owners.

The belief that registering guns will have any effect is somewhat akin to the government demanding the registration of all those with intent to commit acts of terrorism. Do you really think the terrorists would register?

Naive, expensive and ultimately ineffect -- as the Canadians discovered to their cost and as, I have no doubt, we will too.

As Elenor Roosevelt said: “Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.”
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Tue May 14, 2019 10:26 am

Source
The Homicide Report – a Stuff data investigation – has identified 105 gun-related homicide events, which claimed the lives of 167 men, women and children from January 2004 to March 31 this year. Our analysis reveals at least a third of the gun-related homicides are linked to gangs or criminal activity, like drug dealing or robbery.

Nearly all those killings, involved a gun sourced from the black market, most often a .22 calibre rifle or a shotgun, wielded by a man without a firearms licence.
Perry

Return to Today's column