Professional golf now illegal in the USA? (19 Nov, 2014)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Professional golf now illegal in the USA? (19 Nov, 2014)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:39 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2014/1119.shtml

So *anything* that flies through the air is now considered to meet the definition of an "aircraft" in the USA.

Has the bumble-footed ruling of the NTSB and the FAA opened a huge can of worms that may be even worse than the use of RC models for commercial purposes?

Why are so many bureaucrats so stupid -- and as we all know, the problem is not limited to the USA.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Professional golf now illegal in the USA? (19 Nov, 2014)

Postby goosemoose » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:21 am

As a founding member of the stamp out golf campaign I see this as a good thing. The sooner this vile game is banished forever the better, it matters not that the methods used to achieve this aim are unsound. I would also go one step further and rule that golf clubs are weapons of terror. The only problem I foresee is now we'll have hundreds of thousands of below par ;) individuals wandering the streets - indulging in the hobby of golf is the supreme admission of mediocrity, why do you think it's so popular with middle management types. So bravo NTSB and FAA you've done something right for once.
goosemoose

Postby Screw » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:45 am

Screw

Postby latewings » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:33 am

Goosey, unfortunately all that will happen now is an increase in long range putting. UberPutt (tm) will become the game du-jour for those needing a fix of the "good walk spoiled" game.

People who fly racing pigeons will be arrested. Tennis players will be grounded. In fact lawn bowls will become the only ball game playable under these rules, and croquet.

And Christmas is going to be tough for Frisbee makers.
latewings

Postby goosemoose » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:12 am

Yes Latewings sacrifices have to be made if we are to achieve our glorious goal (long range putting will have to played in tightly controlled areas as golf clubs will have been classified as tools of terrorism). In my case the wonderful game of cricket will now become illegal or a least no aerial shots will be allowed (6 and out) and underarm will, to the great happiness of of Aussie counterparts, have to become legal again. Pigeons may be excluded on some prehistoric evolutionary grounds as perhaps will the people who fly them. Tennis no great loss. One possible advantage is that the kicking game in rugby will now become illegal which will aid NZ in it's goal to win the world cup.
goosemoose

Postby par_annoyed » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:37 am

Hmm, as Bruce says....

Golf ,
All shooting activities - a BIG issue for the states
Football,
Baseball,
Cricket,
Do surfers and skiers 'fly' ?
ski jumpers definitely do....
Flying a kite,
Paragliding,
Fireworks,
Rallycross when you jump the car ??

All now subject to FAA - neat, but utterly stupid

Now they'll need a special standard which contains a list of exemptions, special circumstances, extra licences, fees(as stated), and a whole new wonderful layer of beaurocracy... Yay !!
par_annoyed

Postby latewings » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:57 am

In my case the wonderful game of cricket will now become illegal or a least no aerial shots will be allowed

Easy way around this Goosey. We just issue a NOTAM on the day of the game. Any pilot silly enough to be in the vicinity of a game will be immediately grounded and given a stiff telling off.

NOTAM issuance will only apply to cricket - and occasionally an egg ball game, just to stop them whingeing.
latewings

Postby hagfish » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:07 am

It seems to me that their issue was with the word 'model'. Multi-rotor 'copters clearly aren't a model of anything - they are (small) useful aircraft in their own right. Remotely-operated aircraft have been around for a while, but piloting them via first-person goggles is another novel technology that the law will have to get to grips with. The regulations are catching up, but - as ever - it will take its sweet time.

They don't define 'flight' anywhere in that document, but to me, 'flight' implies - at least - some kind of control surface, if not on-board motive power. Golf balls and bullets are purely ballistic, so don't 'fly'. Regardless, I expect it's already illegal to launch fireworks at a busy runway..
hagfish

Postby Perry » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:48 am

The law of unintended consequences is every citizen's night-
mare and every bureaucrat and government's specialty.
Last edited by Perry on Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Perry

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:05 pm

hagfish wrote:They don't define 'flight' anywhere in that document, but to me, 'flight' implies - at least - some kind of control surface, if not on-board motive power. Golf balls and bullets are purely ballistic, so don't 'fly'. Regardless, I expect it's already illegal to launch fireworks at a busy runway..

Well the NTSB does say this in their ruling:

An aircraft is “any” “device” that is “used for flight.” We acknowledge the definitions are as broad as they are clear, but they are clear nonetheless

So it looks as if "control" of the flight is not a requirement to be deemed "an aircraft" and they pretty much acknowledge that they're sweeping with a *VERY* broad broom here.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Return to Today's column