What is that writing on the wall? (28 Nov, 2014)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Re: What is that writing on the wall? (28 Nov, 2014)

Postby phill » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:58 am

a few things i have found out lately

1/ the high input high output dairy farms ( most of the new large ones ) are feeling it hard atm

2/ the low input low ( steady ) output farms ( more the traditional s ) are riding it out easily as are the medium mediums

3/ sheep n beef farmers are now making roughly the same per in out on the bottom line as dairy

4'/ we should never have got into the mass milk market .. we should have gone as i have said before into the high end baby and powder markets
we are now faced with supplying cheap milk to chinese powder plants in our own country for them to CREAM off the top profits ( all say omg how stupid are we )

5/ to keep our high end status we need to have a clean up of the crappy streams i used to swim in but now cant even walk through ( grrr )

then we get to chinese investments
bruce was looking at where to move a few years ago and i suggested my little paradise
well to late now
the chinese have bought within 3 ks of me a resort the yanks built at roughly 120 mill which comprises
1 bull stud beef farm 1 winery and vineyard 1 x 18 hole championship standard golf course 1 x hotel restaurant and a few 300sqmtr chalets
plus 1 x top ten motor camp to house their workers and are building about 2 dozen 300sqmtr houses in a subdivision to house the managers ( im guessing they wont be locals )

the plan
they are going to build 300 more chalets on the resort land a 1,000 seat auditorium and i guess some other stuff as well including supermarkets and shops

at this point it seems that none of these will be available for nzers to go to or use

and nothing has been said even by nz first that this little investment is happening ( you think http://www.peppers.co.nz/carrington/ this place is worth keeping ? )

signed slightly concerned northland
Last edited by phill on Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby goosemoose » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:56 pm

But but but John Key has said in the last week or so that the dairying industry will get better and start making money.
But but but John Key has said that the all TPPA roads lead to gold for dairy (and other) farmers.
Whew, thats OK then. He is prone to lying though.

At least with the USA pumping out vast amounts of milk we'll be able to import it and sell it cheaper than Fontera can produce it. It wouldn't surprise me either that once the US and China are dairy powerhouses we'll be fair game for milk dumping. Oops read "free trade".

Then I wonder where the farmers will be in the "complain about the TPPA" queue. At the very front.
goosemoose

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:03 pm

goosemoose wrote:At least with the USA pumping out vast amounts of milk we'll be able to import it and sell it cheaper than Fontera can produce it.

Who remembers when NZ bought the USA's butter-mountain in an attempt to keep prices high?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Kiwiiano » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:53 pm

What are our chances of insisting that our Glorious Leaders up at Fort Fumble insert a no-loopholes sunset/escape clause in our TTP Agreement? Not suggesting for a moment that we would ever, ever actually NEED one, so there would be no harm at all if we included one.
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm right 98% of the time, so who gives a damn about the other 3%?"
Kiwiiano

Postby aardvark_admin » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:03 pm

Seriously? When was the last time the government actually listened to the people they are supposed to represent?

Asset sales anyone?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby gordy » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:18 am

I aspire to an indolent lifestyle but know I have to work all the way to the grave.

The only thing that a surfeit of cows will bring us when the milk economy crashes is cheap steak. I like steak so that isn't too bad but I suspect the cheapness will only last six months. I also like milk but it's not really good for me and I only take it in tea.

Carbon tax on hydro-power is just madness but our biz-politicos love that kind of rationale. After all, elsewhere on the planet, carbon tax is about taxing power companies!

We need highly profitable businesses. You can only go so far with primary production.

Take a look at this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhCAyIllnXY&t=487). We need something to take up the slack from Fonterra when it finally gets screwed over by other markets.
gordy

Previous

Return to Today's column