Australia's new law bans torrents, will it hit NZ

Discussions about anything in the news

Australia's new law bans torrents, will it hit NZ

Postby Alexanders » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:48 am

Yesterday I read a rather interesting piece of news:http://www.news.com.au/technology/online/days-numbered-for-illegal-downloaders-as-crackdown-passes-parliament/story-fnjwneld-1227393966197

I saw a lot of hatred towards it which I do not understand, the time and money spent on digital products is huge and should not be downloaded illegally.
What's the general thought on this thing here?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I love to chat about technology, but I'm a marketing dude.
A digital project manager at Web design Christchurch, Alexanders.
Checkout some of my work in our website.
Alexanders

Re: Australia's new law bans torrents, will it hit NZ

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:05 am

The problem isn't that they're trying to stop people illegally downloading software, movies, music, etc... it's the way they're going about doing it.

By allowing anyone to simply roll up to a court and ask for a website to be blocked using incredibly ineffective methods such as DNS and IP filtering, they are opening the door to big problems, both ideological and practical.

Should the internet be censored solely to appease certain very influential industries?

What is the burden of proof required by the courts to issue an order to have a site banned?

If they try DNS filtering, what happens when people simply set their DNS to 8.8.8.8 and bypass their ISP?

What happens when genuinely legit sites which share an IP number with a site that is "blocked" also get blocked for no good reason?

When they find that people are just using alternative DNS servers and proxies to circumvent the blocking -- will they then decide to make it illegal to use any DNS server other than your ISPs or allow VPN/proxy use only subject to a license ($$$)?

Just look at how certain powerful players have bullied Global Mode ISPs here in NZ into backing down over the Netflix issue -- this is bad!

Australia has opened a real pandora's box!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:07 pm

i wonder if this is an accidental timing with an aussie streaming service owned by fairfax and nine called Stan ( online since 02/2015 ) doing a sales drive

or all of them .. netflix / stan / presto / quickflix
just getting in their first one quarter finance figures
Last edited by phill on Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiney things i have got
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:12 pm

Yes, it seems that the video entertainment business is getting increasingly cut-throat -- what with the moves against Global Mode here in NZ and the Aussies' new laws.

This all reminds me of the early days of CD burning and downloading when the RIAA simply "didn't get it" and repeatedly shot its own feet while trying to hold back the seas of change. It seems that politicians are in the same position right now and prefer to yield to the rich industry lobbyists than take some sage advice from those who are more informed. Money can't buy you love -- but it can buy a *lot* of political favour!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Alexanders » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:16 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:The problem isn't that they're trying to stop people illegally downloading software, movies, music, etc... it's the way they're going about doing it.

By allowing anyone to simply roll up to a court and ask for a website to be blocked using incredibly ineffective methods such as DNS and IP filtering, they are opening the door to big problems, both ideological and practical.

First of all I truly enjoy this forum, the points of views are not just random everyday comments and helps me think.
I personally have no issues with protection, as I believe most of modern world people are, but the point you make is interesting.
Practically I do believe there is no way to stop this 100% and perhaps an methodological approach rather than punishment and restriction would work better
although long shot. I have seen results of restrictions like this in other countries and regions such as M-East and SEA and yes it almost always backfires.

Would be interesting to see results of downloads at a later point in time and compare.
Alexanders

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:25 pm

I get a lot of email from folk around the country and I was surprised at the number of regular Torrent users who opted to sign up to Netflix (using the US service) in favour of downloading their content illegally.

The *best* thing the copyright owners could have done is *support* Global Mode here in NZ because Netflix (USA) is probably the most effective tool anyone has produced for reducing piracy of movie content in New Zealand.

Most people are basically honest and straight. They'd rather *pay* to access content legally than pirate it. However, when that choice is taken from them (as is the case with the removal of Global Mode for many non-net-savvy people) then they no longer have the choice of *legally* accessing content.

It is clear from the way the Aussies and NZ has handled this thing that the goal is *not* to reduce piracy -- it is simply to protect a local content industry that has been gouging customers for far too long and has no desire to lower its profit margins to more realistic levels.

In Australia they paid the politicians. In New Zealand they paid their lawyers to threaten the competition's facilitators.

Either way... this is tantamount to racketeering -- endorsed by the state.

As someone who earns a living from my copyrighted intellectual property I do not believe that people should unlawfully download material -- however, I also realise that the best way to avoid that happening is to make my content available at a fair and reasonable price to *anyone* who wants it. It's working for *me*.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Screw » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:28 pm

If the media companies would only look at people as being basically honest instead if assuming we are all crooks just waiting to rip them off, they would get a pleasant surprise.

Not surprised about Aust. but, look at the PM they have. Tony "Mad Monk" Abbott is as crazy as they come.

I pay my RINZ fees when asked and that gives me the right to re-broadcast programmes and music.
Screw

Postby enerider » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:41 pm

The thing to remember about torrents is that the content is a gamble: how do you prove that the torrent being offered is worthy of trust and isn't loaded to the gills with malware?

By switching to NetFlix or similar purveyor of streamed media you will actually get the media with a reduced chance of the MPAA kicking the door in as well as a reduced chance of malware and other nasties being part of the download.

Valve made their squillions on the basis of "provide a better service than the pirates". Working to this has been quite the boondoggle for them.
enerider

Postby Alexanders » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:50 am

I lived in Malaysia for 7 years before coming to New Zealand, there the piracy was mad and even in some shopping malls you could see a wee little corner shop selling anything you could imagine in software world. From MS suite to latest games and movies, and this was a a shop out there not a website on a secluded server. Then the enforcement kicked in on 2014 and it could cost you up to 50,000 for each pirated software or CD found in your business. This stopped the whole shebang for a month or so but then they started to send out business card with a code on it, you could go to the website enter the code and download anything you want and pay with untraceable debit card. My point is piracy finds its way.
I could not afford MS suite at a time in my life and I needed it badly, the introduction of fair and lower cost 365 was like a birthday for me. I guess combination of lower risk as you mentioned and fair price would definitely work much better than bans and questionable maneuvers.
Alexanders

Return to General News Discussion