Bill Gates: People don't realise how many jobs will soon...

Discussions about anything in the news

Bill Gates: People don't realise how many jobs will soon...

Postby Anaru » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:09 pm

Interesting insight. Somewhat agree. Look at what Xero is already doing to the accounting industry, their success has been mostly due to accountants embracing the technology - without realising that eventually it will "embrace" their livelihood.

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/bill-gates-bots-are-taking-away-jobs-2014-3
Anaru

Re: Bill Gates: People don't realise how many jobs will soon

Postby pctek » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:40 am

No...what has Xero done? It's an accounting program, cloud but still just an accounting program?
How does that eliminate accountants?
Most people I know, programs on their PC or not, have an accountant.

I'll agree a lot don't need one, being small businesses....but what big business is going to do away with the accountant? They then have to do it themselves, program or not.....
pctek

Postby Anaru » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:04 pm

pctek wrote:No...what has Xero done? It's an accounting program, cloud but still just an accounting program?
How does that eliminate accountants?
Most people I know, programs on their PC or not, have an accountant.

I'll agree a lot don't need one, being small businesses....but what big business is going to do away with the accountant? They then have to do it themselves, program or not.....

It's a little more than just an "accounting program", it stream-lines most if not all of the processes involved, if it was just an "accounting program" it wouldn't of done so much damage to the likes of MYOB. The threat, in my opinion, comes from Xero (or perhaps another vendor) developing their product to the point that the entire process is void of needing an accountant. I suspect that in the next few years this will be validated by the appropriate body or bodies lobbying the government for changes to ensure that certain activities can only be carried out by an accountant to sustain their existence.

Agreed, at a corporate level there'll always be accountants however they're few and far between in the scheme of things, most accountants are down the road and have local small businesses as clients.
Anaru

Postby Malcolm » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:31 am

Anaru wrote:
It's a little more than just an "accounting program", it stream-lines most if not all of the processes involved, if it was just an "accounting program" it wouldn't of done so much damage to the likes of MYOB.

The point Xero is damaging MYOB, Quickbooks etc by being an accouting program, as opposed to the others which are terrible accounting programs. I think people begrudgingly chose their accounting software beased on which was the least terrible. That is why Xero is really picking up a lot in the NZ market. The only people I know of who are hesitant to go to Xero are the ones who are worried about having all of their information 'in the cloud'.
Malcolm

Return to General News Discussion