It's not *what* you know...

Discussions about anything in the news

It's not *what* you know...

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:41 pm

What do readers think of the discharge of the Maori King's son without conviction on multiple serious charges?

What a crock of shirt!

If we are to have two levels of justice like this it makes a mockery of the whole damned thing.

Claims that a conviction would threaten his right to succeed his father to the throne have been proven wrong by an expert in the field and besides which, someone who has engaged in this sort of offending is hardly a "fit and proper person" to becom Maori King -- unless that is the standard all Maori aspire to.

Unbelievable.

Every day I get more disenchanted with the way power is abused and misused based on who you are rather than what you've done and what your worthy goals are.

Makes me a ashamed to be a member of the human race sometimes.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: It's not *what* you know...

Postby Anaru » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:29 pm

Disgusting really.

I don't understand how the rationale of a conviction impeding selection even came into the decision, it's such a weak argument I'm surprised that the Crown Prosecutor didn't chop it down in their sentencing submission.

On a side note, listening to the radio the other night there was talk of him posting racially motivated comments on his Facebook. If that were proven and shown to be true I'd imagine a riot would break out.
Anaru

Postby Screw » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:21 pm

Not surprising really. We know how the legal system works!

Apparently he has a serious alchohol problem and needs to deal with that!
Screw

Postby Malcolm » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:05 am

Apparently some others connected with the crime were previously discharged without conviction in trials where no mention of the status of this guy were made. So in a lot of ways this judge had her hands tied by those decisions. This fact has been conveniently left out of the outrage.
Malcolm

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:16 am

I dislike the concept of "discharged without conviction" when multiple crimes and guilty pleas are involved.

If we send the message that "you don't have to be responsible for your actions when stealing people's stuff or assualting them because you can always plead that it might affect your future prospects" then we're teaching young people that there are no consequences for bad behaviour.

Hell, if these people are so concerned about their future prospects then perhaps they should think twice before committing the crimes!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Return to General News Discussion