Fast enough for me (16 May, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Fast enough for me (16 May, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed May 16, 2018 8:24 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/0516.shtml

The new PC works, and works very well.

Could I have gotten a better deal for my $2K?

Should I have got an 8700K, liquid cooler and overclocked the snot out of things?

Or should I have pimped an ex-lease machine and saved a few hundred dollars?

Yes, I was going to wait until Intel fixed the security issues with its current CPU lineup but the pressure of being able to produce content at a reasonable rate was just too much and it looks as if it's going to be a while before we see "fixed" silicon on the market anyway.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Fast enough for me (16 May, 2018)

Postby goosemoose » Wed May 16, 2018 9:20 am

Could you have got a better spec machine elsewhere? Who knows! I do know there a few independent PC builders around the place that can knock one up for you pretty cheaply. Paradigm PC's are pretty good.
goosemoose

Postby latewings » Wed May 16, 2018 9:31 am

I would seriously recommend getting a liquid cooler for the CPU. It does make a difference, My current machine (component build) is about 1 year old with 32Gb ram, an i7 7700K (4.2Ghz) and a liquid cooler. I have the same video card (at the time it was pricey). Good gear.

You do need to dust the fins out often though to get the full benefit of the cooler. My only gripe is the cooler uses up a usb port on the mb, part of the feedback control system it seems. Apart from that it rocks.

Flight sims are seamless with this config.

Quick edit: Avoid ex-lease machines. I bought a couple for office purposes. One barely lasted a fortnight before the power supply de-smoked, the other didn't match the advertising spec and was returned as not fit for purpose.
latewings

Postby Perry » Wed May 16, 2018 9:45 am

You are or were stuck with windoze 10?
Was that just because of the video editing s'ware not being Linux compatible?
Perry

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed May 16, 2018 10:18 am

I am using Windows at the moment because to use the Linux version of Davinci requires an expensive custom sound card. However, as soon as they offer a Linux version which can use the system sound resources then I'll be switching.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phord » Wed May 16, 2018 10:23 am

I don't like wireless mice.
The batteries add weight to them, although not much, is enough to slow me down.
phord

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed May 16, 2018 10:26 am

The problem with wired mice is that without exception, the damned cables break and they become intermittent. I've tried the Spanish version (El-cheapo) and the most expensive ones and they all (eventually) fail.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Wed May 16, 2018 10:33 am

same as phord .. i use 6 - 8 button wired gaming mice ( reassigning the extra buttons is useful for lots of thing )
much lighter and when they drop you dont have to search for batteries
the cables for gaming mice are available armoured ( woven covered ) so last a bit longer
mine drop off the arm of the chair 5-6 times a day .. even with that i expect a year out of them at least .. 10 -15 dollar range from ali

the system sounds great
Last edited by phill on Thu May 17, 2018 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby hagfish » Wed May 16, 2018 10:52 am

Over the last few years, Dell has been going from strength to strength. They bought Alienware to lend some cachet to their gaming line-up, their XPS laptops are second to none, and their workstations have always been meaty. Their range of all-in-one workstations is interesting, too. Desktop-class parts, in an upgradeable chassis, with a nice display.

I like me a wired mouse. A Razer Diamondback, to be exact. The braided seven-foot cord with gold-plated USB plug has never let me down. Nil lag, nil batteries, comfortable and ambidextrous (left hand at work, right hand at home (for playing Factorio (my secret shame))). Your PC would crush Factorio, by the way - particularly if you have the 6GB GTX 1060. The 3GB variant would also likely be fine.

Having used a 27" 1440p display for many years, it's hard going back to 1080p. I have a Windows VM that I run on my main machine at 1080p, and it's pokey. That said, it's certainly cheaper to throw more 1080p displays at the problem, rather than splashing out on a 34" 21:9 IPS behemoth <-- Factorio would look amazing up on that

People pay a premium for the 'K' edition and the 'Black' edition CPUs. You're getting a binned part that's more than likely 'a good one', but unless you're absolutely planning to overclock, it's money that can go towards a decent PSU. Your new rig sounds like a solid machine for an appropriate price. Windows 10 has a mind of its own regarding updates - it's 'fingers-crossed' every time I boot up - but other than that, I've found it to be pretty good.
hagfish

Postby retroman33366 » Wed May 16, 2018 11:18 am

As for Davinci, Tried it On Linux and yes it is pretty much a red-hat affair needing custom hardware, the biggest stopper is try as I might I could not get it to actually render anything On a Ubuntu based system and it was like working in a total stealth environment as the mp4 based files I start with are of no use because it requires a different format. The sound card I am using (audio interface) was not liked that was both of them internal and external these are the ones I use for music production and sound effect work.

All in All it looked like Davinci could have been a good bright spot for Linux video editing but in the end it was not. Looking at non linier video editors that use the GPU and CPU for render I have yet to find one that works correctly in Linux the closest gave bad render results with green screen work. So for the time being im stuck with CPU Rendering.

For the price and its turn key I would have bought that too My rig is similar but running AMD and a pair of big 7200rpm drives even have the same vid card chip-set!
retroman33366

Next

Return to Today's column