Fast enough for me (16 May, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Re: Fast enough for me (16 May, 2018)

Postby Malcolm » Wed May 16, 2018 11:20 am

Maybe you could have acquired a cheaper system elsewhere, it might have even been better. However what would the cost have been in terms of research time now and support time later? The new AMD CPUs with integrated graphics are looking mighty for multi-threaded video work, however I don't think the latest generation are in NZ in numbers yet. Certainly the OEM market is still Intel focused.
Depending on your workflow a second hand PC with an older CPU and spend the savings on a bigger SSD/Better or 2nd GPU *might* work better. Without knowing the specifics of the software/workflow you use it is hard to say.
Water cooling is probably more for a hobby/enthusiast thing. Most air coolers these days are more than capable unless you are getting deep into overclocking/overvolting to extract a bit more performance. Just keep the airways clear and let it rip.
Malcolm

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed May 16, 2018 12:16 pm

I looked at the AMD option but went with Intel's i7 8700 because it also has Quick Sync -- an onboard (in silicon) H264 and H265 encode/decode block of functionality that is actually surprisingly good.

Using handbrake, I can transcode to H265 in near-realtime using the Quick Sync capabilities of the CPU.

Whether or not I'll use this functionality might be a moot point but it's there if I need it and AMD has nothing close.

Also, despite the power of GPUs, some of the stuff is simply CPU-clock-cycle bound and the Intel clock is still faster than Ryzen parts so for single-threaded applications and applications that can't avail themselves of more than 6 cores (which includes a surprising number of contemprary video editors and games), the i7 still outperforms even the "Thread Ripper" with its plethora of cores. Also, the i7 uses a ring-buss to link its cores and under heavy loads, this outperforms the AMD architecture so the gain from Thread Ripper's extra cores isn't always realised even with heavily threaded applications.

Bottom line... this box is plenty fast enough to last me a few years :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby joeseph » Wed May 16, 2018 5:57 pm

Most of the above is jibberish-speak to me, I'd just want a machine that worked, reliably, & didn't take an eternity to do anything.
joeseph

Postby greven » Wed May 16, 2018 6:59 pm

I wish the OEMs would leave the shovelware off their business machines

On a related note, throw away your restore disk - your motherboard has an encoded windows key that will be automatically detected by an unmolested windows install disk. Download the Windows Media Creation Tool from https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 - this can be re-downloaded as required to create an up to date installation disk, which is far superior to Dell's offering (unless you actually like any of the crap they preinstall)
greven

Previous

Return to Today's column