When we don't need oil (6 Jun, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

When we don't need oil (6 Jun, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:03 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/0606.shtml

Will our reduced reliance on fossil fuels in favour of EVs produce a GFC as predicted?

Or will this produce a nice fiscal benefit to NZ, given that it will reduce dependence on imported fuels?

Might we also see our countryside being destroyed in an attempt to mine minerals essential to the future of renewable energy?

Just what does the future hold for "big oil" and New Zealand as an economy and an environment?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: When we don't need oil (6 Jun, 2018)

Postby goosemoose » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:28 am

I don't think the next economic melt down will be brought on by oil companies. That dubious honour will lie with accountants, economists and other so called financial wizards.
goosemoose

Postby granada29 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:06 pm

"Too big to fail" worked well for the banks (at least their directors etc did well out of it). No doubt it could work well for the oil companies (ummmm - their directors anyway) as well.
granada29

Postby Kiwiiano » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:51 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/0606.shtml
Will our reduced reliance on fossil fuels in favour of EVs produce a GFC as predicted?

Possibly, but any GFC will be multifactorial, so it will be hard to delineate the contributions from all the other factors, like loss of fertile soils or fresh water, other rarer minerals depletion, over population, neoliberal implosion as the burgeoning poor reach critical mass, increasingly erratic weather causing multiple disruptions, etc. Speaking of which we’ve had some doozy erratic weather lately, eh?

Or will this produce a nice fiscal benefit to NZ, given that it will reduce dependence on imported fuels?

Just because the maps say so, we’re not an island. Too much of our lifestyles depend on imports, goods or capital and on exports. Including the means of taking advantage of our natural resources whatever we may find. Could we make an EV here in NZ without imported components, materials or tools? Contemplate just what we make totally from scratch in NZ or what you, personally, could make from the ground up.

Might we also see our countryside being destroyed in an attempt to mine minerals essential to the future of renewable energy?

Why not, we’ve stuffed much of it already, why not keep going to the bitter end?

Just what does the future hold for "big oil" and New Zealand as an economy and an environment?

We’ll never run out of oil or coal, although some stocks may become uneconomic to extract or affordable only for the Uber-wealthy. But at the same time we know there’s enough fossil carbon in the ground to wreck the planet and/or dismantle civilization. I believe the solution lies in a rapid shift in priorities and a concerted reduction in expectations....why is that little pink birdie up in the tree going ‘oink, oink’?
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm right 98% of the time, so who gives a damn about the other 3%?"
Kiwiiano

Postby phill » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:54 pm

im thinking two things have in all the gfc,s been the major factor
excessive stupidity driven by greed
excessive greed driven by stupidity

cut any of those out and you wont get them

as for making things from the ground up
we have steel , fibre ( cellulose ) wood, lime, silica, clay, copper and enough oil to make the chemicals we need ( not want )
all in high quality
so yes we can make the basics

big oil will become just another industrial chemical plant
mining isnt the problem per se ... it can be done properly
its just the rip shit and go bust before you have to rehabilitate prevalent for basically all the mining companies that has caused the negative effects
any independence from costly imports has a beneficial effect ... so does keeping alive your own manufacturing industries .. see gfc,reasons 1 and 2
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby Kiwiiano » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:52 pm

Further news...
https://cleantechnica.com/2018/06/05/ca ... -research/

You may be right, Bruce!!
~ Kiwiiano
Kiwiiano

Postby phill » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:41 pm

not sure what trump is doing is a bad thing ( from a purely economic standpoint ) he is divesting the usa of a product with a sinking usage base at a high price before it hits a huge oversupply and the bottom falls out ( first off the rank fire sale )

its also hard to believe what the university accountant types have worked out when their professional relatives have caused most of the busts in the past without once seeing them coming

its also hard to work out what assets are being lost
they will have written down the plants through depreciation as a tax loss till they are worth nothing yet the value of the plant will be as high as they can get it for the investors

will it effect some grossly greedy people who have been skinning the oil users for decades
yup .. for sure
remind me to cry when that happens
will it effect most people happily building widgets .. probably not
Last edited by phill on Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby Kiwiiano » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:33 pm

Just watched TV1 news... add being buried in global rubbish, particularly plastic that won’t ever break down, only break up.
~ Kiwiiano
Kiwiiano

Postby paulw » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:19 am

Kiwiiano wrote:Just watched TV1 news... add being buried in global rubbish, particularly plastic that won’t ever break down, only break up.

You could always burn it for power..
paulw

Return to Today's column