Vaccinations... bah! (11 Jun, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Vaccinations... bah! (11 Jun, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:22 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/0611.shtml

Am I expecting too much from the humble flu shot?

I understand that it won't protect me from the common cold -- but surely I should have won Lotto and petrol prices ought to have come down after my jab?

What good is this damned jab if doesn't change anything? :-)

Do you get an annual jab?

What's your view on vaccines? Good or bad?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Vaccinations... bah! (11 Jun, 2018)

Postby latewings » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:46 am

Mrs Wings is a nurse at a local Drs. Has been for many, many years. And each year she jabs thousands of people. This year, just for a laugh I had her jab me.

I survived. So while I also received this year's quadrivalent dose (the Gummint stumped up for the more expensive four strain rather than the usual 3 strain) I also walked out happy in the knowledge that she hadn't pushed the needle in further than necessary. I lived to see another dawn.

The winglets also got the annual jab, and like yourself there wasn't a reaction of note amongst any of them.

There is however a good Cold being spread around. The kids have it, the Mrs had it and I'll probably be suffering in a few days time too.

T'is the Season.

Get well soon.
latewings

Postby hagfish » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:51 am

Is there a difference between 'having a cold', and 'having all the symptoms of a cold'? If you're injected with dead bugs, does your immune system have the same reaction as if it's live ones? It would be nice if our bodies could just quitely make some antibodies, without all the ancillary aches, pains, and leakage.
hagfish

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:56 am

hagfish wrote:Is there a difference between 'having a cold', and 'having all the symptoms of a cold'? If you're injected with dead bugs, does your immune system have the same reaction as if it's live ones? It would be nice if our bodies could just quitely make some antibodies, without all the ancillary aches, pains, and leakage.

Yes, I think we should get our politicians and regulators onto the problem of public health. Why don't they just pass laws to make colds, flu and other maladies illegal. That'd fix things... wouldn't it?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phord » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:09 pm

Had the flu 3 months ago, always turns into a chest infection afterwards. A real PITA.

I dosed up on 4 grams of Lypospheric Vitamin C every day which does seem to work.

I know that it is doing something, because these high doses keep me awake all day and night.
phord

Postby Stevesub » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:10 pm

I have been having flu vaccines for who knows how long and in that time, I have had the flu once. I must now be immune to most stains in existence except for new ones. As for colds, yes probably once a year if I am unlucky but now that I am retired and live in a warm climate during winter, I generally do not succumb to them as well.

The beauty of being retired is that you can avoid any cold sufferers unless you meet them in the supermarket and I try to avoid public transport - what public transport where I spend my summers in NZ, there is none. No unhealthy workmates to infect me.

Yes I did use the train service in Brisbane over the weekend and half the passengers were coughing and spluttering so here is hoping I will not get anything, looking good so far.

I am all for vaccinations and got the freebie shingles one this year as well. I had shingles a while ago and it is not nice.
Stevesub

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:12 pm

A mate of mine had the free shingles vaccine and ended up getting a major outbreak down the side of his face about a week later. Was it a reaction? Was it simply that the vaccine hadn't had time to work? Who knows... but it was a bit of a bugger.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:24 pm

Got the jab a few weeks back - paid for by work so no reason not to (puts tinfoil hat back in storage for the moment).

Colds are a different matter. Now that young'uns are gone from the nest we aren't getting the winter cycle of colds coming from school to {re-}infect the household, so thankfully only mind sniffles so far :-)

Hang in there Bruce - colds are a wonderful excuse to try every variant of alcohol-based remedy on the off-change one might work, or you get to the point of not worrying about it. :D
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby Malcolm » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:52 pm

I remember the good old days of over the counter psuedoephedrine. Get a cold or flu, poop a couple of them and be functional again for the day. Sadly They banned that to stop people cooking up meth, and we all saw how well that has worked out.
Malcolm

Postby phill » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:16 pm

yup .. no one cooking meth out of over the counter ephedrines purchased in nz

i am still mulling over the benefits and drawbacks of flue shots

get it regular and have a built in supply of anti bodies to all the types they say you will get
or
get the flue every now and then and have an immune system that still functions
for that inevitable time where the flue virus forgets to read the script and springs a surprise
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Next

Return to Today's column