More power! (2 Aug, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

More power! (2 Aug, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:18 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/0802.shtml

Hands up, how many readers have experimented with DIY electricity generation in their back yards?

Did you also think "that'd make a great generator" the first time you saw one of those F&P direct-drive washing machine motors?

And will the little Hitlers with their hi-vis jackets and clipboards now descend on this guys property, demanding compliance with an endless list of restrictions and red tape, now that his setup has become very public?

Is this the sort of thing that makes a Kiwi a real Kiwi or what?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: More power! (2 Aug, 2018)

Postby nutbugs » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:56 am

We have a few F&P rewired motor generators running on a property north of Otaki. I didn't make them myself - though I have stripped them right down and rebuilt a few over the years! Ecoinnovation (now Powerspout) use them for their very successful micro hydro turbines.
I really wish I had a good constant source of water flowing through here - I would absolutely be building some of these.
And yes - I would tend to keep it under the radar!
nutbugs

Postby Kiwiiano » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:00 am

A friend of a friend living up in the outer Marlborough Sounds had a pelton wheel generator that was very carefully concealed from the hi-vis brigade. His stream was not far from the house but the wee dam was well up the hill, with buried plastic pipes delivering the water to the generator hut, then returning it to the stream in a ‘natural’ pond. Both were artfully concealed by landscaping from aerial photography, with a reasonable assurance that it was too far from civilization to ever come to the attention of the plonkers.
Its highlight was that as a governed pelton wheel it had performance lags that wrecked the TV images if the washing machine went into a spin cycle. The cure was a modified commercial dimmer that fed the output of the generator to a supersized hot water cylinder, switching power to other appliances as required within one 50Hz waveform. That allowed both the geny to run continuously at an optimum 80% of maximum output AND the washing to be done during a footy game on TV. Plus they NEVER ran out of hot water.
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm right 98% of the time, so who gives a damn about the other 3%?"
Kiwiiano

Postby goosemoose » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:33 am

Those F&P washing machines really were crap. Kept unbalancing and not spinning properly, forever rebalancing them. Only lasted a few years before we got Bosch front loader, much more reliable and, touch wood, no issues in the past 7+ years. Sceptical of F&P gear now.

We've got a little stream running through here, problem is we don't quite meet the header requirements for micro hydro, only about 15 metres max. I think you need 20+. Have got an old smart drive motor floating around the place somewhere I must do something with. Only real issue is lack of welding/metalwork and the like sort of tools and skills!
goosemoose

Postby phill » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:40 am

http://www.microhydropower.net/director ... php?ID=101

> 10 years ago the environment centre i was a member of had working examples of both of the early ecoinnovation lines .. the pelton wheel micro hydro system and the quiet wind mill both used the gentle annie motor as the generator

a few installed them and as far as i know apart from the regular bearing changes are still going strong

We've got a little stream running through here, problem is we don't quite meet the header requirements for micro hydro, only about 15 metres max. I think you need 20+. Have got an old smart drive motor floating around the place somewhere I must do something with. Only real issue is lack of welding/metalwork and the like sort of tools and skills!

from memory the pelton will work from 3 meters head minimum .. there are various sizes of nozzle to make the head v flow variable

oops 5 meters .. from the eco site
Pelton Turbine
Our Pelton turbine is available is 12/24/48 vdc and 300 vac with transformer pack for 12/24/48 vdc output. It is ideally suited for sites with flows from 0.25-8 L/s and head from 5-130m. Each turbine is set up for your site. Maximum output 1200 Watts.

http://www.level.org.nz/energy/renewabl ... o-systems/
better nz link
Last edited by phill on Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby mad » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:45 am

goosemoose wrote:We've got a little stream running through here, problem is we don't quite meet the header requirements for micro hydro, only about 15 metres max. I think you need 20+. Have got an old smart drive motor floating around the place somewhere I must do something with. Only real issue is lack of welding/metalwork and the like sort of tools and skills!

Its not just head, but a combination of head and Flow, you can get away with low head if you have reasonable flow, ( and vis versa)
Here's a good chart on flow/head/output potential

http://www.powerspout.com/assets/Publis ... Metric.pdf
mad

Postby latewings » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:51 am

Only lasted a few years before we got Bosch front loader, much more reliable and, touch wood, no issues in the past 7+ years.

Ditto. I also went the front loader Bosch route. Our 5kg machine finally died when the motor's rear bearing unit milled itself. I replaced that with a $15 unit from repco and it was back in order again. It had been used almost twice per day for 10 years so not a bad record. Replaced the machine with a 7kg of the same brand (Four teenagers - it was needed badly). Equally heavy (if not more so) use and little sign of issue. Those machines are built tough.

F&P build expensive landfill. I will never go near that brand again.

I wonder how those old FP motors would manage in a wind turbine configuration?
latewings

Postby Hiro Protagonist » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:50 am

latewings wrote:I wonder how those old FP motors would manage in a wind turbine configuration?

I hear they are quite popular with the DIY wind-turbine crowd.
Hiro Protagonist

Return to Today's column