Drone... groan! (3 Aug, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Drone... groan! (3 Aug, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:33 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/0803.shtml

Sorry to bore you about drones again but the evidence in today's column does actualy provide further proof that the mainstream media can no longer be trusted to deliver unbiased, researched, honest information.

I (and hopefully you) can see how biased and fact-free the coverage of drones is -- but how many other subject areas that we don't know about are also being completely mis-reported and hijacked by groups and organisations with their own agendas?

Do we really know what is actually going on in the world around us when the mainstream media has so badly lost sight of their raison d'etre?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Drone... groan! (3 Aug, 2018)

Postby Perry » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:23 am

When such contradictions are pointed out - now you see it -:- now you don't - isn't it odd how there's never any follow up comment of the same scale as the initial bout of sensationised hysteria?

Party balloons anyone?
Perry

Postby latewings » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:44 am

As a generic calculation an A320 or B737-800 on final approach will possibly cross the runway threshold at around 140kts. During the final phase it will be around 10kts higher, so 150kt.

That's about 280kph or 78 meters per second, or say 260 feet per second for us old folk. It's generally accepted that the brain takes around 2 seconds to "see" something, now for a pilot you could say they're a little faster than that, so lets drop that to around half a second, so by the time the pilots "see" the object it's already about 40 meters (I'm rounding up/down here) behind them, with no chance of a second look.

Therefore misinterpretation of what is seen is quite likely. It's possible that other airborne objects are being mistaken. I'm not about to dispel my aviation brotherhood, but it's rather hard to claim categorically the type of object if there's no proof.

Ergo I suggest forward facing dashcams be standard in cockpits to ensure claims can be verified.
latewings

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:14 pm

latewings wrote:Ergo I suggest forward facing dashcams be standard in cockpits to ensure claims can be verified.

Yes, a simple and elegant solution to the issue -- especially since a good 4K camera recording to SD card is now very cheap.

You would need to have a chat with Tim Robinson from NZALPA though... his pilots' union is dead-set against the fitting of airliner dash-cams but, given that they would be a huge benefit to verifying "drone" sightings and could also provide some valuable extra "black box" information in the event of any incident... leaves me wondering "why is that?"

I'm pretty sure that NZALPA has a lot more to lose (ie: credibility) from the fitting of these cameras than they have to gain.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby paulw » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:49 pm

Interesting video I saw on YouTube yesterday which a person was using a drone to video trains. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl1BK8MKFko&t Great shots but I suspect that if you tried this in NZ the CAA would take you to the cleaners and the media would have a field day. Read comment 3 answers which are interesting..
paulw

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:38 pm

But Paul, you must understand that 100 tonnes of iron and steel are no match for 1Kg of plastic. Drones are incredibly dangerous, whereas freight trains are notoriously fragile and easily damaged.

Imagine if that drone startled the train driver and caused him to swerve and hit a small child!

You're just not thinking like a bureaucrat with a hi-vis jacket and clipboard at the ready.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Return to Today's column