Core blimey! (7 Aug, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Core blimey! (7 Aug, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:33 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/0807.shtml

For the price of an old but perfectly good used car you will soon be able to buy AMD's second-gen Ryzen 32-core ThreadRipper.

I strongly doubt they'll be a "must have" within the ranks of the gaming community or for such challenging tasks as websurfing and balancing your cheque-book (are they still a thing?). However, there will be certain types of computer users that will be lining up to cash in on the extra performance all those cores will provide.

Threadripper aside, what do you think of the Ryzen family so far?

Has its potential been let down a little by lack-lustre clock/boost speeds when compared to Intel's offerings?

Game benchmarks seem to indicate that Intel still has a worthwhile lead over AMD, despite the extra cores that Ryzen offers at most price-points. What's more, the Intel parts are more "overclockable" (is that a word) which gives them a further performance advantage.

If you were building a new mid-range or gaming system, which CPU would you opt for right now?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Core blimey! (7 Aug, 2018)

Postby Malcolm » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:18 pm

People won't put that CPU in their desktops. Instead the real market will be for people wanting to run virtual machines. In that space it isn't up against the i7 or i9 Intel CPUs but the Xeon ones. Which come at a much higher price, just looking now the 24 core Xeon 8xxx series, price of which starts around $8000NZ and climbs steadily.
I think the latest Ryzen desktop CPUs do stand up to the Intel offerings in the gaming space. Apparently they are very popular with the people live-streaming their game play as they have enough cores for the game to use with some left over for their video encoder to allow them to upload their videos in real time.
Malcolm

Re: Core blimey! (7 Aug, 2018)

Postby hiscoca » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:50 pm

I love cores and threads, because as Bruce says I am into Video and photo editing. My new Omen Laptop with Intel 6 cores/12 Threads just eats Lightroom/Photoshop and Bruce's recommended video editor DaVinci resolve (yeah I gave in and followed your recommendation Bruce).
It seems my hobby is expensive at both ends with camera/Lenses/Computers.

But to answer your question I will always go with Intel, had bad experiences with AMD in the early days 386/486 era.
hiscoca

Return to Today's column