Climate change, things just got hotter (8 Aug, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Climate change, things just got hotter (8 Aug, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:44 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/0808.shtml

Why does NZ continue to convert forestry into dairy pasture when the combined effects of the loss of trees and the emissions of ruminant stock are key factors in producing climate change?

Is this a case of governments talking the talk but utterly failing to walk the walk when it comes to the serious issues before us?

If we reach tipping point and find ourselves unable to halt the runaway effects of global warming, what will this mean to the future of the human race?

Could we become the next Venus or Mars?

And why are we still bullshirting about "100% pure" when we're clearly engaged in activities that promote climate change and most of our waterways are unfit even for swimming?

Is it time for a reboot before it's too late?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Gummints Have Never Been Good Listeners

Postby Perry » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:56 am

Or they always listen to only those they want the hear from.

I suspect that part of the problem is the way all governments are so disingenuous. It's only the degree that varies.

I've often wondered how things would be if NZ governments engaged fully with NZ citizens in an open and candid way.

Could we cope?

Not working groups or commissions or the like. They're just devices that allow the gummint to trumpet that it 'consulted.'

Plus, everyone knows that they're always appointed and structured to get the result the gummint wants, so it's a charade.
Perry

Re: Climate change, things just got hotter (8 Aug, 2018)

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:17 am

People keep going on about Climate Change like it's the end of the World. It's not.

Ok, so a large number of flora and fauna species globally will vanish (quite possibly humans as well - certainly our numbers and level of civilisation will drastically change), but the World will find a new balance, new ecological niches made available to fill, and the globe will keep turning.

It'll be the end of OUR world, not the end of THE World. If we want to change that it would now take some Mega-engineering projects alongside a drastic change in habits. Both a possible, neither are probable.
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby latewings » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:56 am

I oft wonder how ice ages started: and ended, without human input...
latewings

Postby phill » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:58 am

problem with this particular tipping point is its an empirical one not an analytical one
mostly on the geological scale
ie
we will never know exactly how close it is until we have clearly and unarguably past it ( then we will be able to prove it by analytical methods )
given the amount that are still arguing it doesn't exist .. that could be awhile

carbon into grass .. not the most efficient carbon sequestering .. but far better than houses and roads
we only have to lose 5-6 billion homo sapiens and the problems will dissipate fairly quickly ( geological speaking )
of course we can always help by taking more refugees .. its not like our countries fragile habitat isn't over populated already ... i often wonder if the dreamtards think we live on a continent
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby goosemoose » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:52 am

I see those farmers are having a hard time in Aus with their drought. Climate change related? Maybe, maybe not. Seems to me there must be some correlation but I'm not an expert, so hey. But it'd probably be a good idea for us to keep an eye on it because if we become drier then a normal sized NZ farm will probably only support one tenth the number of animals than it does now and that would send the economists into a tail spin.

I sort of suspect that if we do reach this tipping point then we may be wiped out but the planet will recover. Given time of course.
goosemoose

Postby hagfish » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:55 am

latewings wrote:I oft wonder how ice ages started: and ended, without human input...

In general, very, very slowly. Global warming since the Industrial Revolution looks more like a hockey stick. Or maybe we should just just burn all the coal, on the off-chance that it's a coincidence.
hagfish

Postby Hiro Protagonist » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:14 am

goosemoose wrote:if we become drier then a normal sized NZ farm will probably only support one tenth the number of animals than it does now and that would send the economists into a tail spin.

The reality is that synthetic and/or cultured meat & dairy is already a looming existential threat to the traditional farming model, so those farmers & economists will need to start biting the bullet sooner rather than later.
Hiro Protagonist

Postby phill » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:23 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-f ... e-45097563

some interesting stuff near the end
likely not the only northern country either
dairy saved for another year or 2 for nz
we dont have to worry to much about synthetic beef n milk .. as much as we like to think otherwise we are not that big and cannot produce that much in world market terms, and there will always be a high end market for the ones that dont have / want to eat textured mush

i also wonder why if oil producing countries are not penalised for selling oil .. the carbon tax is added when its used by the country its used in
why did our brilliant negotiators not fix dairy on the same terms .. we produce but dont use a lot of what they want the farmers to pay for ( and it should be paid / counted in the carbon bank .. if we chose to have one )
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby goosemoose » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:45 pm

Hiro Protagonist wrote:
goosemoose wrote:if we become drier then a normal sized NZ farm will probably only support one tenth the number of animals than it does now and that would send the economists into a tail spin.

The reality is that synthetic and/or cultured meat & dairy is already a looming existential threat to the traditional farming model, so those farmers & economists will need to start biting the bullet sooner rather than later.

Perhaps we could get all those rich foreigners to come here and choose the meat to shoot on the hoof, then eat from our (then) massively reduced stock numbers. Our farms would effectively become game farms catering to the luxury goods market.

I'm still a bit sceptical about synthetic protein TBH. It'll need lots of suitable land, not your hilly land suitable for sheep. That land will also be suitable for housing and lifestyle blocks too. I also suspect herbicide and insecticide production would have to ramp up considerably to effectively manage the crop and make it profitable. Monocultures really are that great for things.
goosemoose

Next

Return to Today's column