Technology fail day (11 Sep, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Technology fail day (11 Sep, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:44 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/0911.shtml

What a day!

No Net, no landline, no EFTPOS, two dead key fobs... how quickly our comfortable existance goes to hell in a handbasket when the bits of technology on which we rely so much, simply stop working.

At least it's a reminder to make sure that contingency plans are in place.

What are your contingency plans, should something similar happen?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Technology fail day (11 Sep, 2018)

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:30 am

At least Spark updates their site with outage notices. A number of times Vaderfone has stopped working, no outage info, no clues from support centre, then belated update for one small area even though problems were widespread. Knowing that the system is down at the exchange end (from router error logs) and getting a 'please restart your PC' from the support desk is rather frustrating.
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby goosemoose » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:22 am

Spark don't do customer support. Customer obfuscation more like. Utter clowns. Little can huge eh? Check out this idiocy
spark-text.jpg

Spark are your typical large organisation run by accountants and marketeers, unfortunately they have a sideline business of telecoms.
goosemoose

Postby phill » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:30 am

we get extended power cuts here so often i always have ~50 in cash onhand
for some reason they have not yet figured out at the local store that a generator will fix most of their problems as far as eftpos down goes
( seriously what shop with food coolers and freezers would not have back up power esp with the amount and length of outages we get )

on a brighter note when i hook up my gennie and go online the speeds are great
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby hiscoca » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:41 am

Tokoroa and surrounds internet outage, a result of the fibre project being awarded to the lowest bidder UFB, I think the only area of NZ awarded to a non major player.

Cause of the outage a 128m section of Fibre being cut.
Hmm it appears that the UFB only was one point of connection to the main internet backbone.
Now spark still had lots of circuits working Fibre feeding DSL cabinets, Primary Rate circuits etc. But they have diversity in there links to the backbone. several different interconnections instead of one
hiscoca

Postby Kiwiiano » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:12 pm

The Mitre10 I part-time at has a bushel of Ye Olde ZipZap devices so when the phones or power fail (mercifully infrequently), we can always see the customers happily on their way so long as they have a credit card to fall back on. Most do. I’m surprised your retailers were limited to cash.
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm right 98% of the time, so who gives a damn about the other 3%?"
Kiwiiano

Postby Malcolm » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:14 pm

phill wrote:we get extended power cuts here so often i always have ~50 in cash onhand
for some reason they have not yet figured out at the local store that a generator will fix most of their problems as far as eftpos down goes
( seriously what shop with food coolers and freezers would not have back up power esp with the amount and length of outages we get )

on a brighter note when i hook up my gennie and go online the speeds are great

Cost for acquiring and servicing a generator capable of keeping a commercial refrigeration unit running are substantial. Most chillers will hold their temperature quite well even during an extended cut so long as you keep the doors closed. So no real need for most shops to drop the cash for them.
Malcolm

Postby phill » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:25 pm

cost for keeping electronics working and eftpos going
< $500 for a 4 stroke 1KW pure sine wave inverter generator .. 3 ltrs per 8 hours at > half load
loss of sales ( ~per 8 hour outage ) $400-800 off season ... $1.5K - 3k peak season plus pissing off the loopies that get used to bringing more or going elsewhere
we are looking at country store size ... by running 1 cooler/freezer at a time it could be done with a single cheap 1.5 -2KW generator ( dont mix inductive's with sensitive electronics )
phill

Postby Perry » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:09 pm

Bruce wrote: I rang the Spark help line and was told "there are some common things that can happen which stop your internet from working so we've sent you an app to run and want you to log in to our webpage at..." What part of "the internet isn't working" do you not understand, you stupid automated voice-response system!!!!

Telling someone who, it has been acknowledged, has no working internet, that they should log into a webpage on the Spark site is so ridiculous that I'm sure they're just taking the piss with this. Oh yes, they sent me a link to an app. They sent it to my 2G "dumb" phone. Yeah, that's going to work isn't it? Oh, I do have a smart phone... but I only use it with Wifi -- and my internet is down -- CLOWNS!!!!!!

What we all have to grasp is the Simon Mutter is doing whatever is necessary to increase his pay and bonus, at the expense of service personnel and customer service generally.

Some time back, I speculate that Ember (aka spark) made some changes to their SPAM filter software or out-sourced provider. Suddenly, my wife and I cannot exchange emails that contain hyperlinks, as they get rejected as SPAM. Trying to get that sorted by Ember or the Manillans has proved every bit as frustrating. Of course, the Manillans tell us that there's a problem with our email. Standard BS excuse for crap service. A leopard can't change its spots and telecon / ember are certainly not exempt.
Perry

Postby phill » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:04 pm

sadly that examples a lot of nz businesses boardroom greed, incompetence and lack of ability to compete
riches for those that talk the talk ( aka bullshit )
crumbs for those that walk the walk ( do the work )
phill

Next

Return to Today's column