A foreboding observation? (12 Feb, 2019)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Re: A foreboding observation? (12 Feb, 2019)

Postby JonL » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:01 pm

Perhaps the glass surface has less friction so the bugs are more likely to slide off.
I wish that were the case on our vehicles......Car 3 months old and the windscreen looks permanently smattered, no matter how much "Bars Bugs" we stick in the washers....there have been less bees this year though..and more wasps (sorry - West Oz - we still have bees.)
JonL

Postby Malcolm » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:29 am

goosemoose wrote:Here's a very unscientific observation for you. In my garden I've never sprayed for insects but then again I've never gone out of my way to attract them, except this year when I planted a whole pile of wildflowers and let a few of the vege plants go to seed. I've noticed a lot more insects around this year and to coincide with that we seem to get a lot more birds. There are heaps of bumble bees around and all sorts of other types of insects.

Similar here, this last year we have added a couple of beehives to our place. The plants seem to have responded, a lot more blooming flowers, the fruit trees are producing a lot more. There has also been an uptick in bumblebees, dragonflies and other similar insects as well as birds.
Malcolm

Postby Kiwiiano » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:38 pm

This took me a while to track down, in case anyone is still following the thread
https://theconversation.com/climate-change-is-killing-off-earths-little-creatures-109719/

Climate change gets blamed for a lot of things these days: inundating small islands, fueling catastrophic fires, amping-up hurricanes and smashing Arctic sea ice.

But a global review of insect research has found another casualty: 40% of insect species are declining and a third are endangered. It confirms what many have been suspecting: in Australia and around the world, arthropods – which include insects, spiders, centipedes and the like — appear to be in trouble.
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm right 98% of the time, so who gives a damn about the other 3%?"
Kiwiiano

Previous

Return to Today's column