Why your next car may be Chinese (18 Apr, 2019)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Why your next car may be Chinese (18 Apr, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:45 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2019/0418.shtml

Could the Chinese be about to introduce a revolution in vehicles that will be even more revolutionary than the invasion of Japanese cars back in the 1970s?

Is it possible that there is a Sino-EV in your not to distant future?

Have China just been getting on with getting on, while Elon Musk has been soaking up the limelight and promising the world?

And why are so many of the big-name Japanese car makers missing in action from the pure EV marketplace? Could this be a huge mistake on their part?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Why your next car may be Chinese (18 Apr, 2019)

Postby goosemoose » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:38 pm

I can't wait. I hope the cars are real basic too. No sensors, cameras, inflight entertainment. None of that electronic whizz-bang rubbish that will break down within 5 years and cost a fortune to repair. Prang your bumper these days and in all likelihood you'll be paying to replace all the electronic nonsense there as well as the thing itself. Just a radio, fuel gauge, rev counter and a speedo. Simple, reliable and cheap. Bring it on. As a bonus the cars will probably be ripped off from the more popular Japanese brands.
goosemoose

Postby Perry » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:29 pm

Don't overlook the Isle of Man TT, where Jap motorbikes wiped the course over BSA, Triumph, Norton, Matchless, Velocette, Ariel, etc.
Perry

Postby Weasel » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:38 am

Believe it or not, until recently in some countries you could buy decent new cars with out the whizzzbang stuff. While they're about to go out of production (for the second time) the Chevy Impala was one such car, I own two consecutive models of these, a 2002 and a 2013.

What I like about them both - good build quality (built in Canada), basic controls in logical places. No infotainment BS or gimmicks, the factory sound system in the 2013 has a n AUX in jack on it, Bluetooth pairing for hands free phone use! XM Satellite radio standard, for $8 a month I get a dozen ad free stations to choose from. Powerful yet fuel efficient V6 engines, comfy to drive on long trips, plenty of boot space, seats 4.5 people with out squashing them. Easy to work on, unlike some/all European and Japanese cars, the Impalas (and not doubt the Ford equivalents - e.g. the Crown Vic also now out of production after a long successful run) are simple, and in North America there are zillions of them as they were popular fleet cars, parts are cheap, and information/help on forums is plentiful, you can do a lot of maintenance jobs your self if you're inclined.

Buy a car from another country bar a Honda, Toyota or Nissan, and good luck to you when it starts needing things fixed.

As for electric cars, Tesla is the gold standard, everyone else is welcome to up their game. At the end of the day, I think that was Mr Musk's intent all along, challenge everyone else to get their shit together and build an electric car everyone loves, rather than turning out ugly electric cars no one buys as excuse to not peruse building them seriously.
Weasel

Postby roygbiv » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:59 am

It makes good sense that the Chinese will develop EVs, they can justify it alone for their own growing car consumer market and awareness of pollution this will potentially cause. For me much of my driving is around town so EV is definitely a good alternative to petrol, am just waiting for the prices to lower and proper competition to kick in. I believe there are a lot of people like me in NZ who are sitting on the fence so there is the demand especially now the range is higher than 300km. This is an issue in North America as they tend to drive vast distances in one go and used to just taking a few minutes to gas up. So until this is addressed properly or their expectations readjusted EVs will take longer to replace ICEs, maybe hybrids will suit better.
The petrol companies still have a loosening stranglehold on the car manufacturers and have in the past bought, ruined or otherwise viable alternatives to the ICE. But they knew it was inevitable that EV technology would eventually claim its spot. The leading issue is predicting the time frame for all this to happen, and it appears to be sooner than we first thought. That is good news for almost everyone including the air quality we breath.
roygbiv

Postby RoddyAxn » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:59 am

EV planes
Yes if Garry can fly
And murry too
Let them EV shoe
RoddyAxn

Postby CipherF15 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:16 am

The next may be Chinese, but the following is very, VERY likely to be autonomous; I found this article stating explaining how self-driving cars will change the property market and it's fairly clear that if other markets are preparing for it, it's already clear that it's going to happen...
CipherF15

Return to Today's column