Do not be afraid of the dark (17 May, 2019)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Do not be afraid of the dark (17 May, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri May 17, 2019 6:09 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2019/0517.shtml

Who would have thought that cheap, efficient, LED lighting could be such a danger?

Or have the risks been somewhat overstated by some researchers trying to justify their stipends or grants?

Are LED bulbs really more of a risk to our sight than the myriad of LCD screens we interact with at close range on a very regular basis?

And dimmer headlights? Who thinks that's a good idea?

Are you worried about the dangers of blue(ish) light?

Now where's my bottle of whale oil?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Do not be afraid of the dark (17 May, 2019)

Postby roygbiv » Fri May 17, 2019 7:22 am

I think a good regular dose of natural daylight will more than compensate for the 'artificial' lights and all the associated health reports on them. Its good for more than just the eyes.
roygbiv

Postby Muscular Jam » Fri May 17, 2019 7:26 am

my new glasses came with the option of a blue filter for a small extra cost, recommended for people who use computers a lot so I got that installed. I don't notice any difference from the inside, but my family tells me at certain angles there is a pinkish reflection when viewed from the outside.

PS I saw a link to an article on batteries that I thought you might be interested in, but when I tried to send it to you I got an error message from your contact form?
Muscular Jam

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri May 17, 2019 7:55 am

Yeah, the contact form doesn't work. You can email me at editor@ the obvious domain :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Fri May 17, 2019 8:26 am

And dimmer headlights? Who thinks that's a good idea?
Me, dammit!! :evil:
I'm sick & tired of the fancy new cars with their high-intensity LED lights: they flash blue when going over bumps/small rise, high contrast, high glare, and stuff your night vision as a consequence. I'm not sure if they give that much more illumination to the driver either: changes the colour of the lit-up area to closer to daylight, but at the expense of, again, higher contrast so the indirect areas appear darker. Safer? Nope, not in the slightest.
</rant>

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/0 ... lled-cars/

And from another forum:
That's commonly called the colorband in the headlight retrofit/modification community and it occurs with all projector-based headlights, be they halogen, HID, or LED. It happens because the projectors contain a cutoff shield to form the beam pattern in order to not blind oncoming drivers. The light bends around the cutoff shield and is diffracted, and this diffraction is further magnified by the projection lens. This diffraction causes the wavelengths of light to separate and cause color fringing.

Since LED headlights are already very blue-white in terms of color, the color fringing is going to be more blue/purple. You'll notice this heavy blue/purple color fringing on any car with projector LED headlights like the F56 Minis, F48 X1, Toyota Corolla, Nissan Murano, Acuras with the Jewel Eye LEDs, Honda Accord Touring, etc, etc. If you ever drive in front of one, you'll notice their headlights "flicker" from purple to blue to white as they hit bumps and the different portions of the colorband are reflected in your mirrors. A lot of cars with HID projectors also have this effect, but it tends to not be as intense blue/purple.
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby namartinnz » Fri May 17, 2019 11:40 am

Cool light bulbs really irritated me right from the start, warm LED all the way. As for affecting my vision watching screens and whatnot, my eyes are protected. I doz off pretty quickly in front of the telly....
namartinnz

Postby roygbiv » Sat May 18, 2019 2:23 pm

I remember you wrote about LED street lights and councils changing to LED spending a $ to supposedly save a cent a while back.

You mentioned the harshness of the bluish type lights then which I have noticed recently as our local council seems to be changing over. I go out running early in the morning, this time of year when I get back it is still dark. The new lights are harsh and heavy contrast causing extreme silhouetting, a result being is that the street is now islands of light with darkness in between. The old fashioned neon offered light with a dimness between lights but still reasonable visibility. If this could be equated to a driving experience it would be fine for a single driver on a dark road but with oncoming traffic any 'night vision' built up would potentially be eliminated and harder to re-establish between oncoming cars.
I live in the city but this must be worse out in the sticks with no street lighting as the light contrasts between oncoming car lights would be more extreme.
roygbiv

Return to Today's column