Oh the irony (6 Nov, 2019)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Oh the irony (6 Nov, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:30 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2019/1106.shtml

What a fascinating insight drones have provided, into the disingenuous way politicians and power-brokers behave and what really drives their decisions.

How sad it is that the media has vilified drones to such an extent that the general public is likely unaware of the levels of deception and dishonesty being exhibited by those who are allegedly elected to serve voters but who, in reality, look after their own interests first and those of lobbyists second -- whilst ignoring the public almost completely.

How can it be that young children can legally use fireworks (often with tragic results) quite legally -- whereas in the UK, a kid under 13 isn't even legally allowed to own a drone or toy plane -- despite the amazing record of safety these things have?

Why are so many, so blind?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Oh the irony (6 Nov, 2019)

Postby Perry » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:30 am

I've said it before:
the only thing you should be surprised at, is that you're surprised at it at all.
Perry

Postby Necrotic Kingdom » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:38 pm

When I were a lad, I would stop off at the local dairy on the way home from primary school to buy a box of thunderbolts and a box of matches. Now a packet of sparklers is an R18 purchase and the heavy at my local red shed told me it was far too dangerous for me to wander the shop with them in my trolley, I had to purchase them last and then proceed directly to the checkout, and they watched to make sure I did. So your argument seems to fail on its first premise.
Necrotic Kingdom

Postby phill » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:14 pm

mmmm
throw downs
jumping jacks
cracker guns ( double happy type not one of ya namby pamby tom thumb ones )
mighty cannons and letter boxes
not to forget the notoriously unstable in flight .. penny sky rockets

yet bugger all complaints about any of them
well apart from
ohh crap where did they go
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby joeseph » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:45 pm

Given the number of fires on sacred hills in the last couple of days, it wouldn't surprise me if there were changes to the current fireworks laws coming.
But then it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't the fireworks-banning-lobby groups causing the fires either!
joeseph

Return to Today's column