Audio goes backwards? (26 Nov, 2019)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Audio goes backwards? (26 Nov, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:43 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2019/1126.shtml

What is your audio setup?

Do you have a "real" stereo system (component or otherwise) -- or do you rely on just pairing your phone with some kind of playback device?

Aren't these single-unit 100W+ Bluetooth speaker systems a giant step backwards?

Has a decent sound-bar and surround-sound setup with subwoofer hooked up to the TV set effectively replaced the living room stereo system for many people?

Or do you just whack a set of earbuds in your lug-holes and connect them up to your phone for "listening pleasure"?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Audio goes backwards? (26 Nov, 2019)

Postby psycik » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:18 am

Nobody is doing 128k mp3 any more. That went out when Napster did.

The Bluetooth speaker are a step up from your phone speaker....just. I can’t get over the people that put Bluetooth into their main stereo. Tying themselves to within 10m of the machine.

At least get something on the network
psycik

Postby namartinnz » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:15 am

I bought a B&W sound system off a mate for $750 a couple of years ago. 10 yr old B&W 2 x DM603 S3 towers with LCR 60 S3 centre along with a couple of satellites and admittedly weak SUB. It also came with an Onkyo Receiver. At the time he splashed out over 6 grand, then went to a cheap sound bar - silly as it seems, I think the B&Ws didn't fit his decor in his new house. Even though the amp is dated it makes amazing sound for music and movies...
namartinnz

Postby retroman33366 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:27 am

All I can say is consumers go with convenience or brand. Best case was the style guru in the 2019 VW with an iphone glued to there ear, or others in similar new cars just using there buds on wires (or Bluetooth). Yes I have a few real stereo systems. Even in the same room!? (: I do a lot of recording... Something reasonable to mix and master to is always good then you master it to work on some crappy buds and random Bluetooth speakers. I reiterate its all about image and inconvenience these days... Product to sell cause last years stuff is now lame.
retroman33366

Postby hagfish » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:46 am

Our household has an 'alright' home theatre amp feeding a pair of 3-way floor-standing Mission speakers, and a decent little subwoofer, that gets us down to about 30Hz and can rattle things off the mantlepiece. Everything we watch on telly goes through this system.

However, 95% of our music (and podcasts) goes through a UE Boom bluetooth speaker. The slight irritation of having to plug a phone into the amp (and thereafter being deprived of the phone until such time as it's unplugged) means the Bluetooth connection is 'just easier'. I even have a Bluetooth audio catcher that could feed the signal to the amp, but it interferes with the Boom, so we don't use it. We don't deservce nice things... Fortunately the Boom doesn't sound half bad.

EDIT: the trick these days is getting the same signal to multiple systems throughout the house. It seems like Apple and Google don't want to play nicely, and Logitech doesn't want to play with anyone :?
hagfish

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:03 pm

I went back and listened to a record on an admittedly low level player and compared it to the phone + bluetooth. No comparison. The new BT speakers are seriously impressive. I picked up a Braven Blade unit ($12 at auction!) and the sound tech is seriously gob-smacking for a small unit delivering loud and clear full-range music.
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby greven » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:25 pm

It is all about the right tool for the job... and convenience.
Do you have a high end amp & speaker stack in your workshop? Do you drag your speakers outside & position them perfectly if you want some music while doing the gardens?

People who care deeply about music have always been rare, have always invested a lot of time & money into making their setup sound good & probably always will. The contrast is just more visible now that it is so easy to enjoy good enough sound quality on a very tight budget.

I have found going to a slightly better class of speaker (without going too overboard) makes voices much clearer, but people who don't have any trouble hearing voices often can't tell the difference in quality between any 2 systems that exist above the objectively bad end of the scale.
greven

Return to Today's column