Are we safe standing here? (2 Dec, 2019)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Are we safe standing here? (2 Dec, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:04 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2019/1202.shtml

Could the cure be worse than the complaint... if we try to bioengineer our way out of global warming?

Should *anyone* be allowed to tinker around with the engine that sustains all life on the planet by engineering new organisms?

Have we not learned anything from our failed attempts to "fix" ecological problems by introducing new species?

Would you be worried if a newly engineered bacteria was unleashed with the promise that it would sequester CO2 from the air and thus mitigate the effects of more than a century's worth of fossil fuel use?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Are we safe standing here? (2 Dec, 2019)

Postby hagfish » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:03 am

Hopefully the bacteria will 'process' CO2 only under very specific conditions, similar to the way yeast will begrudgingly turn sugar into alcohol, once they've used up all the yummy oxygen. If the new bacteria ever escape the lab, they'll get overwhelmed by their oxygen-loving competitors. There can't be much of a living in turning 'ash' into 'more ash'.

I think hopes'n'prayers that the tech-bros will save us are likely to go unanswered. What we need is a simple, cheap, easy panacea, and fortunately there is one; we all pull our heads in a bit. Yes, we'll have to change the way our society is structured, and there will be less 'freedom', but most people get by just fine with close-to-zero freedom, anyway.
hagfish

Postby paulw » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:34 pm

"Could the climate change crisis be almost over?" No it can't be. What will happen to all those government funded university types who live climate change of the scores on UN workers who fly around the globe telling us all the end of the world is coming unless we tax the crap out of you ??
paulw

Postby phill » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:04 pm

same as what happens to all the trumpies that didnt believe
they will all live a crappy life that only the rich can afford to alleviate because they didnt do enough either
but at least they will be able to say they tried
unlike the much beaten up trumpies who will never say .. they successfully stopped anything useful being done because greed and selfishness were always to tempting to resist

ohh and seeing as how you are sooo happy to stuff the life of the next several generations
are you confidant enough to wager that i can take a running start and kick your ass hard enough to break things if you are wrong ??
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby Necrotic Kingdom » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:31 pm

The way I read that article they were more saying they had done something never done before, not saying it would be useful. Or maybe I read a different summary of it
Necrotic Kingdom

Return to Today's column