Predictions for 2020? (15 Jan, 2020)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Predictions for 2020? (15 Jan, 2020)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:36 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2020/0115.shtml

What does the next 12 months hold in terms of technology, trends and breakthroughs?

Share your thoughts.

Do you agree or disagree with my predictions?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Predictions for 2020? (15 Jan, 2020)

Postby Perry » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:16 pm

Expectations

Lot of FUD, lies, deceit, empty promises (sorry, 'aspirations') from a wide assortment of current and wanna-be woodenheads vying for a place among the other drones in the beehive.

A glitterazi, highly stage-managed, Taxcindarella event when she has to resign as President of the Unmarried Mums' Club.

Otherwise, sort-of normal for us plebeians.
Perry

Postby Kiwiiano » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:06 pm

The aspect I’m keen to see ramping up is Franken-food. Out at the bleeding edge, various teams are working on mono-cellular feed-stocks: algae, bacteria, fungi, yeasts that are being cultured to manufacture food components that are served up to testers unable to distinguish them from the originals they are replicating. One Finnish lab is producing a flour from a bacteria originally found in soil that was cooked into pancakes as good as wheat flour versions. An early start perhaps but they pointed out the energy source the bacteria use is hydrogen produced using solar power and that the process requires only fermentation tanks, 20,000x less in area than the soil needed for the wheat and a much lower carbon footprint overall. It should be noted that the FAO has already warned that at the rate modern farming techniques are destroying fertile soils, we’re on track to run out of them by 2050.

The big advantage of the mono-cells is that they leapfrog over Soylent (green or otherwise) because both soy beans and lentils still need soils and a dependable climate (also endangered) and are vulnerable to insect or fungi, etc, attack, another area global food supplies are threatened by. Because large scale fermentation is well established (hic!) progress in developing the acceptable alternatives should be rapid.

Of course the paranoia parties will be wailing “Something may go wrong with these artificial foods, we’re all doooomed!!” Well, I hate to break the news to you darling, but the current supplies of supermarket produce isn’t exactly trouble free and we’re all doomed anyway if we don’t get our acts together. The global population isn’t falling although it will if we don’t.
~ Kiwiiano
“Nothing will make any sense until you realise that nothing makes any sense!”
Kiwiiano

Postby phill » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:23 pm

the biggest advantage to algae farming over vast monoculture fields
is not that crops are in danger from insects
but
insects are in danger from crops ( the devastation of insects is little publicized but its a worse situation than whales were in at the end of the whaling era )

we can come up with many many solutions to feeding humans .. but the simple fact is ... humans have over populated the planet
fix that .. fix most of the problems
feeding humans is easy when the environmental degradation is not considered in any way ( flora / fauna / water / soil / air )

the health of the planet is a distant second to the health of the profit

as for the near future ..
hopefully we wont start an international conflict to keep the trumptard in power
hopefully the end of 2020 will see a different head of state in the white house
hopefully something constructive is done to address the environmental concerns before its way to late
hopefully the politicians will bow down to the peoples wishes rather than corporate profit
hopefully we are not to late already

using the term hopefully more than once in a set of needed changes means your fucked already
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby phill » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:36 pm

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/a ... d=12300757

you want change
but this is what you are up against

the paranoid dreams of conspiracists
or
deliberately baited posts to keep the unwashed from believing the truth about whats happening

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby phill » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:50 pm

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-15/ ... r/11720484

more for the algae thing
i met a swiss scientist up here that firmly believes ( > 20 yrs ) that algae is the way forward

phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:31 am

phill wrote:https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=12300757

you want change
but this is what you are up against

the paranoid dreams of conspiracists
or
deliberately baited posts to keep the unwashed from believing the truth about whats happening

What a load of tripe eh?

We all know that these are obviously 5G-fires, caused by the high frequency radiation that those evil, baby-killing 5G towers emit.

I'm surprised that Midnight Oil's hit single "Beds Are Burning" hasn't re-charted across the ditch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejorQVy3m8E
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Return to Today's column