Damn you NVidia (23 Mar, 2020)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Damn you NVidia (23 Mar, 2020)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:00 am

This colum is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2020/0323.shtml

Finally, the systems at Aardark's castle are back up and running properly, after a Sunday of frustration.

Actually, it was nice to have some technology-related distractions so as to avoid contemplating "the subject de jour".

I have to say that I'm actually quite impressed with Intel's onboard graphics solution -- at least when doing simple stuff like watching YT videos and the like. I'm far less impressed with NVidia's driver support for Linux and the myriad of problems that myself and others have had (even before the card went titsup).

As for the video editing issues... I guess there's a tiny corruption somewhere in the old project database I was using and that caused a really odd, inexplicable failure of Davinci Resolve. Now that I've sorted that, I'm having great fun editing 120GB of video I shot on Saturday with the Panasonic HC-X1500.

I'll be doing a full review of that camera shortly but I think the biggest thing I've learned so far is that my old camera (the Sony) is actually an incredibly good bit of kit. Half the price and 80% of the capabilities of the $3K Panasonic. The downside is that with the Kiwi dollar plunging to new lows, that $3K camera will probably be more like $4K once they become available again :-(

Ah well... a full week of video-creation ahead, if only to service the demand created by hundreds of millions of people who are now holed-up in their homes with nothing better to do than watch YouTube.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Damn you NVidia (23 Mar, 2020)

Postby Kiwiiano » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:54 pm

We were facing being trapped at Club Paihia (yes, there are undoubtedly a lot worse places) but it’s a long way from Christchurch. Fortunately we managed to score seats on a Tuesday flight from Auckland avoiding the 48hr deadline....(Phew!! at mumble de mumble I’m too old for that level of pressure & tension.)
Back home I’ll be chucking up another batch of home brew for the still to manufacture some hand sanitiser, it’s still hard to find here in the far north, so I’ve no reason to assume it’s easy to obtain in the South Is. Can’t go to work, Mitre 10 isn’t an essential service, and as a crumbly I’m supposed to be isolated anyway.
~ Kiwiiano
“If I’m ever on life support, try turning if off then back on again. It might work!"
Kiwiiano

Re: Damn you NVidia (23 Mar, 2020)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:02 pm

I see that "media" are categorised as an "essential service" so I guess it's business as usual for me :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Return to Today's column