Why China may soon be THE superpower (27 Mar, 2020)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Why China may soon be THE superpower (27 Mar, 2020)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:46 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2020/0327.shtml

Could China come out the ultimate winner in the global battle against COVID-19?

Will the heavy blow that Western economies take ove the coming months be enough to push China into the position of "The" World Superpower?

Has their domestic economy now reached a point where they can remain sufficiently insular to continue growing while the rest of the world is in contraction?

And what are the chances that there are one or two crazies in power (either in the USA or China) who might think this the ideal time to start a bit of a fight?

Your thoughts please.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Why China may soon be THE superpower (27 Mar, 2020)

Postby psycik » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:09 am

Only if we believe them and their numbers.

I'm hoping we'll look at ourselves a bit more in this climate and see if we can become more self sufficient, look at exapnding our manufacturing again.
psycik

Postby paulw » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:53 am

"As the rest of the world struggles to contain and control the COVID-19 virus, China seems to have already managed to beat it into submission." Wouldn't guarantee it as most foreign journalist have been expelled and all news is controlled so we can't be sure what they are saying is anywhere near true.
paulw

Postby phill » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:00 am

i read some articles that say as china returned to work .. they got handed out lots of redundancies as the demand for their products has dropped a lot .. china mostly make items that come out of the discretionary spending budget
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby hagfish » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:13 am

The 21st century is 'Asia's Century'. Neoliberalism and capitalism have run their course. It was an amazing run, but it's basically killing the host, now.

I would be surprised, but not astonished, if the USA failed during this year, as a federation of states. The 'grand experiment' may be coming to a close. The very features that thrust it ahead in the 20th century might now cause its downfall. 'Individualism', in particular. At the moment, the Federal Reserve is pumping a trillion dollars A DAY into banks, and Covid-19 cases are doubling roughly every four days. It's going to be a shit-show. Or maybe they'll pull it out of the fire.
hagfish

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:18 am

hagfish wrote:It's going to be a shit-show. Or maybe they'll pull it out of the fire.

Trump will declare Marshall Law and have the National Guard shoot all Coronavirus on sight.

"People are going to die who have never died before"
"Can't we just use the flu vaccine against this thing?"

Yes, the US is in safe hands! :LOL:
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby goosemoose » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:46 am

aardvark_admin wrote:And what are the chances that there are one or two crazies in power (either in the USA or China) who might think this the ideal time to start a bit of a fight?

Well if they do it better be televised. At least it would give us something to watch while cooped up at home :shock:
goosemoose

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:57 am

Here is something I find mind-blowing:

The guy in charge of policing the lockdown has said:

"People can use their cars to get to travel to a local park for exercise, but they could not be driving across town"

Excuse me?

Surely, if you need exercise it makes no sense to drive a short distance to the *local* park. Why not just walk that short distance and get your exercise that way?

I'm having less and less confidence that key people know what they're doing!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:48 am

most of our civil defense staff are picked on the ive got a simile face and people like me criteria

you only have to look at the emergency text alarm scheme they went with to realize most should be sacked for gross stupidity and incompetence
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby Necrotic Kingdom » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:52 am

aardvark_admin wrote:Fortunately, I have a feeling that China may decide that there's more to be had by focusing on its economic expansion rather than any kind of territorial one.
I agree. Historically China has tended towards isolationism rather than territorial expansion. Particularly the Ming dynasty building the wall and their destruction of the "treasure fleet". Two possible exceptions to this are Taiwan and Tibet. However Taiwan was part of China until Japan took it off them in 1895, so they claim that they merely want back what was theirs. Tibet is a mess, it seems to be one of those pass-the-parcel areas, and China did control it for 200 years under the Qing dynasty.
Necrotic Kingdom

Next

Return to Today's column