Good brand, bad product? (22 May, 2020)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Good brand, bad product? (22 May, 2020)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri May 22, 2020 2:17 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2020/0522.shtml

Once again I find myself having to contemplate the replacement of our trustless washing machine.

This will be the third machine in less than four years -- what the hell is wrong with the world when well-known manufacturers can't make a product that lasts more than a few months and doesn't set your house on fire?

Share your own experiences and suggestions.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Good brand, bad product? (22 May, 2020)

Postby goosemoose » Fri May 22, 2020 5:40 am

Writing this had better not break our washing machine!!! Top loader. Never again. I had a F&P one when a few years ago, that turned into junk. Kept stopping, could never balance it. A real PITA. My parents have a Bosch front loader. Thought, worth a crack. So we bought one. It's been going flawlessly for the past 10+ years. Mind you don't know about the quality of them these days. They are quite heavy though but once in place you never really need to move them again. I think front loaders save a bit more water too.
goosemoose

Postby Stevesub1 » Fri May 22, 2020 7:11 am

We have had 2 LG machines one in OZ now one in NZ. The OZ one lasted around 12 years before the lid was broken by a tenant, the NZ one is around 5 years old now. Both gave no problems and the wife loves them. We inherited a F&P around 6 years ago that was only a couple of years old that promptly died.
Stevesub1

Postby gbilski » Fri May 22, 2020 8:46 am

Have you looked into Consumers Guarantee Act? That well and truly overrides any claim of no warranty if the unit has failed in a reasonable frame of time. Depends on when you bought the machine that got replaced. Even the threat of using the Act can work wonders.
We have a Bosch front loader and it is great, never missed a beat in 4 years and front loader do use less water.
gbilski

Postby RoddyAxn » Fri May 22, 2020 8:48 am

But a washboard
RoddyAxn

Postby hagfish » Fri May 22, 2020 9:03 am

We went through a slew of secondhand top loaders before finally biting the bullet and getting a 10Kg AEG front loader. It's built like a tank - it can spin a full load at 1400rpm with barely a purr. It won't do cold washes (it heats its own water), so we have to put up with higher power bills, and cleaner clothes. Its cycles are much longer than a top loader, but it swallows all our laundry in one go, so it doesn't really matter.

On the subject of whiteware; our Miele dishwasher is an absolute pleasure to use. Well thought out, well constructed, gets everything in (even the roasting pan) and gets it all clean and dry. We did have to hand-wash all our stuff for two years while we saved up, tho - it was about 3x the price of a crappy one :D

EDIT: in both cases, we watched and waited, and got a 'end of run' floor model, for about 60% of the cost of a 'new' machine. No regrets.
hagfish

Postby phord » Fri May 22, 2020 9:48 am

I've always used washing machines found in the in-organic collection or given me.
Always been old F&P models which last for years with some TLC.
One day, I want to replace the controller board with a Raspberry PI or Arduino.
I want to customize the duration of each stage, with an additional spin & full rinse to remove all traces of the washing power.
phord

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Fri May 22, 2020 10:37 am

That washing machine should be covered under the Consumer Guarantees Act, and the store needs to put it right. Mention the CGA politely as a first step?
https://www.consumerprotection.govt.nz/ ... -and-care/
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby namartinnz » Fri May 22, 2020 11:47 am

Been using a repoed Gentle Annie I bought from F&P finance division at the time for the last 18 to 20 years. A lid switch broke many years ago and replaced. Apart from that totally rock solid if you can find one 2nd hand. Mmm my dad has a Samsung washing machine. Fingers crossed it will be ok...
namartinnz

Postby phill » Fri May 22, 2020 12:07 pm

got heaved finally with top loaders
chalk another up for bosch front loader
i only brought it as it was urgent, and the only washing machine available on the local second hand market
it has got a cold wash but you can set the temp you want anyway
with the amount of water it actually uses ( very little ) warm wash is not a bother and the stuff is cleaner
flushes most of its own lint .. good for me bad for the environment ( micro plastics from fabrics is a big adder to plastic oceans )
havnt seen to many complaints on any of the sites
balancing is good noise is almost non existent
super fast spin so no problem drying between showers outside on a wet (ish ) day
if i had to pay the extra for a new one .. i likely would
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Next

Return to Today's column