Poor old Intel (23 Jun, 2020)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Poor old Intel (23 Jun, 2020)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:32 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2020/0623.shtml

What does the future hold for Intel... the twice proud leader of micro CPUs?

Zilog dethroned them back in the early 1980s and now AMD looks to have done the same in the early 2020s.

Will Apple's defection from the Intel camp spell the end of Intel's hopes to remain "king" of the CPU market?

Or will Apple come crawling back, cap in hand when they find that their home-spun ARM-based CPUs are not perhaps as powerful as either Intel or AMD's offerings?

Watch this space!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Poor old Intel (23 Jun, 2020)

Postby goosemoose » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:34 am

Don't write off the Z80 just yet. Come the armageddon we'll need it again according to this bloke:

https://collapseos.org

Hang on to all those old Z80 and Forth programming books! I certainly have.
goosemoose

Postby Malcolm » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:39 am

The thing is while AMD might have the lead right now in CPU performance, that is only a small part of the equation for a computer system. Certainly for servers the whole infrastructure and support around it are more important. Not to mention reputation. AMD has held the crown in the past but still could not dethrone Intel for market share. The Athlon CPUs in the early 2000s beat the Pentium 4 of the same era and when the introduced the Athlon 64 series they extended that lead. However Intel still held the server and OEM markets due to the better chipset support(and some plain old corporate bullying). I would argue the northbridge chipset on the motherboard is far more important to a PC than the CPU. Intel is also huge with many irons in many fires. Their R&D budget eclipses AMDs by a significant margin. They can afford to have a bad architecture and throw it all away for a fresh rebuild. Like the Netburst architecture then throwing that all away to go to the Core series.
Malcolm

Postby phill » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:21 am

for me at least
amd has always come second
more power usage for the same result
over heating and poor life

ryzen may have fixed all those problems but the reputation for poor reliably takes a very long time to change

then there is the shear power each has nowadays .. apart from graphics manipulation and very high detail gaming most just do not need the power that's available now

so is it a race for more and more
or will soc's n pop's take over for the largest part of the market
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby Weasel » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:07 pm

Apple wont come crawling back, they've been cooking up their own ARM stuff for phone and tablets for a while now. Apple has gone through several successful CPU transitions over the years from the m68k, PPC, x86, and now ARM. It looks like iOS apps will be available from the app store for ARM Macs on day one too, that'll be a plus for many.

One downside to Intel chips is the 'system with-in a system' they come with (the Management Engine) which runs Minix, only Govts can get Intel chips with this feature (cough backdoor cough) disabled, I bet Apple will be happy to rid it self of that along with all the other reasons they're moving on from Intel. Not to mention all the recent exploits being discovered with-in the out of order execution and branch prediction systems among others..

What next for Intel? Don't know, still a strong server and PC laptop market out there for them for now. All the Cisco UCS stuff we have in our datacenters at work is Intel. Thou even AMD is making inroads to datacenter grade gear now. The lower end Oracle Cloud options run on AMD CPUs for example.
Weasel

Postby Perry » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:20 pm

The adage of adapt or die doesn't just apply to Intel, AMD, et al.

It's ubiquitous and across so many business models, it's scary.

I wonder if the old CPM/+ machine up in the loft would still boot up if I plugged it in and powered it up?
Perry

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:58 am

Perry wrote:The adage of adapt or die doesn't just apply to Intel, AMD, et al.

It's ubiquitous and across so many business models, it's scary.

I wonder if the old CPM/+ machine up in the loft would still boot up if I plugged it in and powered it up?

BDOS Error on A: Read-only
^C
BDOS Error on A: Ignore/Retry/Abort
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

An Example?

Postby Perry » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:58 am

Insurance company IAG propose to close all 53 AMI stores
Stuff wrote:Customer and consumer executive general manager Kevin Hughes said the proposal was not taken lightly, as the stores had been in local communities for many years. However, the review reflected growing customer expectations for digital services, Hughes said. “Covid-19 has accelerated many trends within the insurance industry and in the broader operating environment.

“Customers expect more digitally, and we are focussed on delivering that for them." The company was exploring new services, such as virtual face-to-face meetings, and customers would still be able to contact call centres, he said. “For several years, we’ve seen a decline in visits to our retail stores, as customers increasingly look to engage with us over the phone, via email and through our online platforms and digital channels."
Perry

Return to Today's column