Should we be worried? (24 Jun, 2020)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Should we be worried? (24 Jun, 2020)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:27 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2020/0624.shtml

Is having its own GPS system the final component of a Chinese arsenal that is now ready to go head-to-head with other military superpowers around the world?

Despite much sabre-rattling, China has been all talk and no trousers in respect to its land-claims and border disputes. Will this change now that it does not have to worry about other countries crippling its military by withdrawing their GPS services?

Might we now see China backing up its previous rhetoric with actual military action?

In these uncertain times, perhaps anything is possible.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Should we be worried? (24 Jun, 2020)

Postby Malcolm » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:29 am

I think they still lack the ability to seriously project their military power much beyond their borders. I think, for example, they have two functional aircraft carriers. Which limits their ability to carry out air strikes away from their mainland. They are busy building more so that will change once they are commissioned. They certainly haven't been shy about harassing their immediate neighbours however. They are currently skirmishing with India over a region just next to Kashmir. They are really leaning hard on the soft power approach with the belt and road strategy buying them influence and potential bases all over the Pacific and Africa.
Malcolm

Postby goosemoose » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:52 am

Possibly. Don't know about you but if I was a super power and didn't have backup systems in place just in case GPS was not available I wouldn't have too much faith in my military. GPS, I reckon, is a nice to have but not essential tool. Besides, if you're invading a country it won't be too long before freedom fighters/terrorists/asymmetric warfare kicks in and all the technology in the world won't really help. Thats when you really want soft power!

Didn't the US navy just recently go back to training it's people in the use of a sextant?
goosemoose

Postby JonL » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:14 am

I think you'll find the Kashmir fighting is being generated by India - - all part of Modi's move to try and remove Kashmir's autonomy and bolster his internal ratings.
JonL

Postby Malcolm » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:12 am

JonL wrote:I think you'll find the Kashmir fighting is being generated by India - - all part of Modi's move to try and remove Kashmir's autonomy and bolster his internal ratings.

This predates Modi somewhat. Although it seems the recent flare ups are from Chinese patrols coming closer than they were in the past. It seems it has been a regular enough occurrence that it is standard for the soldiers in the region to not have firearms so that any skirmish doesn't escalate in to shooting. Instead they beat each other with steel poles and rocks. It is hard to get much real information out of there as the Indian government has locked down the entire region, and the Chinese side is just standard for an information blackout.
Malcolm

Postby Necrotic Kingdom » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:21 pm

Traditionally china has been isolationist rather expansionist. But the way trump is b
behaving who could blame them for
wanting to bolster their def
fences?
Necrotic Kingdom

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:34 pm

Necrotic Kingdom wrote:Traditionally china has been isolationist rather expansionist. But the way trump is b
behaving who could blame them for
wanting to bolster their def
fences?

Yet they're building new islands in the South China sea and have always said they own Taiwan :-) They're also expanding by way of their loans to Pacific nations, loans that leave them "exposed" to China's influence.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:42 pm

Many moons ago, a (now dead) Airforce instructor told the class I was in that the biggest threat in years ahead would be Chairman Mao's mates.

As for hi-tech, goosemoose may be on to something. T'was supposedly Field Marshall Montgomery who said something like . . .
You can have your tanks and your planes and your atom bombs, but without the infantry, you have nothing. Nothing at all.
Perry

Postby roygbiv » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:36 pm

I would say that in the context of war mongering and satellite navigations system ownership, USA would be by far the most worrying. All they have to do is turn off their ageing 1970s GPS system or threaten to and put the worlds smartphone users in turmoil. Their military is probably using a system that was put up this century.
roygbiv

Postby phill » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:33 pm

most new mobiles have all 3
gps , glonass and baidu
it would p me off having to buy a new fishfinder plotter combo but thats about all that needs to be replaced
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Next

Return to Today's column