Google to pay for news (26 Jun, 2020)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Google to pay for news (26 Jun, 2020)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:07 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2020/0626.shtml

Is Google getting too greedy for its own good?

How will it recover the cost of paying paywalled sites to provide access to protected content?

Is it trying to ramp up YouTube revenues to compensate for this whilst also boosting the bottom line?

Are they about to get just a little too greedy and engage in moves that will ultimately shoot them in the wallet?

Have you noticed the profound increase in ads on YouTube in recent weeks and if so, has it affected the time you spend on the platform?

Is greed about to sow the seeds of Google's decline?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Google to pay for news (26 Jun, 2020)

Postby Necrotic Kingdom » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:14 am

I sometimes use youtube for background music. I can put up with the occasional ad, but I have certainly noticed the massive increase in ads recently. What I find especially annoying is when a 10 minute DIY video from mitre10 get loaded as an "ad".
Necrotic Kingdom

Postby Malcolm » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:20 am

Necrotic Kingdom wrote:I sometimes use youtube for background music. I can put up with the occasional ad, but I have certainly noticed the massive increase in ads recently. What I find especially annoying is when a 10 minute DIY video from mitre10 get loaded as an "ad".

I have had that, also sometimes get a different music video instead of the song I want as an ad. I am just glad they have the skip option after 5 seconds.
Malcolm

Postby hagfish » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:04 am

If I'm ever confronted with an unskippable ad that's longer than 15 seconds, I immediately close the tab. I consider it a civic duty - if enough frogs hop out of the pot, maybe Google will stop turning up the heat. If we suck it up like passive Sky viewers, well, we all know how that turned out.

If I watched YT videos in any quantity (like 'hundreds') I expect I'd kick in for Youtube Premium. My time (not to mention my sanity) is worth that much.
hagfish

Postby phill » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:01 am

to use the boiling pot analogy
a lot more will hop out of the pot and watch it from the sidelines
ad blockers are used by a certain percentage .. content providers get nothing from those that use them .. neither does google

there is a balance between how much fluff people will watch before they reach their tipping point and investigate methods of alleviating the problem

im not sure that the total hours of viewed content will go down by very much
but
the amount of people using blockers will likely rise
google will have already worked out the pluses v the minuses of that
they may have got it right
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby namartinnz » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:55 am

I've noticed a bit more adverts on my tablet and tolerable. There are certainly some annoying intro ads which I try to thumbs down. Just to see something less annoying...
namartinnz

Postby Perry » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:58 am

Bruce wrote:I fear that Google is sowing the seeds of its own demise.

If only.
Goobill, Gatesby et al are - in their own ways - the current generation of cyber terrorists.
Perry

Postby Weasel » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:04 pm

The bean counters moved in to Google a couple years ago and threw out the "don't be evil" motto, don't hold your breath waiting for them to see the error of their ways and reverse course, expect more of the same - a never ending quest to squeeze more money out of everything. I've given up Google except for a gmail account which I've migrated most of email activity away from now.
Weasel

Return to Today's column