Covid-19, the good and bad news (29 Jun 2020)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Re: Covid-19, the good and bad news (29 Jun 2020)

Postby Weasel » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:01 pm

phill wrote:mentioning the road toll as if its something we don't address is .. probably not accurate

what is the cost per person of the covid response
against
what is the cost per person of the road toll and hence safety measures
please include cost of cars with more than a basic frame and motor .. construction to crash standards .. safety belts .. some air bags .. speed limits .. safer road construction .. all road construction .. speed limits .. the cost of running and installing street lights .. same traffic lights .. it probably ends up costing more per person than you think ..

But transportation is not a net loss, it adds value to the economy - what is that worth?
Weasel

Postby phill » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:41 pm

so you feel humans should have value or die
bit harsh
and we are not talking transport .. as specified .. don't include the cost of a basic frame and motor ..
they also don't need roads built to anywhere near the standard that safe roads are
they also don't need lights .. of any kind
every other cost has no specific value and is cost negative for the economy
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby Necrotic Kingdom » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:44 pm

We did not develop this alleged "herd immunity" to smallpox and polio, we wiped out smallpox with a vaccine, and we have nearly wiped out polio with a vaccine. A better vaccine will hopefully finish it off as well.
Necrotic Kingdom

Postby Perry » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:58 pm

hagfish wrote:With the virus, hospital workers are dying in large numbers.
Perry wrote:In what country? NZ seems to be doing sort-of O.K. with that count. Could it be related to differing hospital standards, from one country to another?
hagfish wrote:Comparing that with NZ where only 89 people were hospitalised at all is comparing our road toll with that of the Chatham Islands - unhelpful. Disingenuous, even.

To me, if there's any distortion, it's the bald, unqualified statement that "hospital workers are dying in large numbers."

USA hospital workers are dying in large numbers would have been 'helpful.'

Given how they have been so different in their national and State covid-19 responses, the USA is a 'special case,' in so many ways. :twisted:
Perry

Postby cjet » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:48 pm

“”In demographics, the world population is the total number of humans currently living, and was estimated to have reached 7.8 billion people as of March 2020.[2] It took over 200,000 years of human history for the world's population to reach 1 billion,[3] and only 200 years more to reach 7 billion.””

If in 1817 or 1919 you predicted 7 fold increase by 2020 Covid 19 pandemic you would have the looks of the communication officer of council looking back at you.

My son said tonight the PM is reactive and not proactive.

His comment of 18 years is New Zealand knew one month earlier to shut its boarders and let the economy continue on with no lockdown 4,3,2,but just 1

That may have saved $140 billion in borrowing over 3 years.

Eli’s Island in New York had 3 months isolation.

So Chatham Islands where I have lived Produces $1 billion a year in fish revisited for 700 people.

So 500,000 New Zealanders overseas coming home all go to Chatham Islands for three months.

750 km east of Christ church.

$35,000 fine for any breach

Debtors prison on the island for any delinquents.

You can see where this is going.

PM not proactive.

A years fishing revenue could feed all the people. Fish. Fish for breakfast lunch and dinner. Crayfish. Blue cod. Snapper.

A call for all overseas builders to return. Housing

The subcontractors plumbers and electricians.

Then wall stoppers and wall paper painting and gardens.

You can see how the line to renter is merit based.

Buy up 1,000 cruse liners and pick up 5,000 at a time and anchor off shore

Proactive.

Reactive is saying sorry New Zealand I did not fire the health minister with a PhD from theology colledge. Nothing wrong with a PhD. Just nothing happening in health.
cjet

Postby Weasel » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:47 am

phill wrote:so you feel humans should have value or die
bit harsh
and we are not talking transport .. as specified .. don't include the cost of a basic frame and motor ..
they also don't need roads built to anywhere near the standard that safe roads are
they also don't need lights .. of any kind
every other cost has no specific value and is cost negative for the economy

You're making about as much sense as Trump does, a babble of self contradicting statements. E.g. none at all.
Weasel

Postby phill » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:17 am

Weasel wrote:
You're making about as much sense as Trump does, a babble of self contradicting statements. E.g. none at all.

sorry
next time i will try to make it really simple for you
and
step by step each point
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Previous

Return to Today's column