Broadband prices to rise (3 Dec, 2014)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Re: Broadband prices to rise (3 Dec, 2014)

Postby DigiDog » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:53 am

mad wrote:Then go and talk to the school about them becoming a "community internet hub."

Thanks mad... that's very interesting. Does anyone have experience of this model working in practice? I'd love to get an idea of the costs involved and how many subscribers it would take to break even.
DigiDog

Postby paulw » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:05 pm

mad wrote:Bruce, you appear to have swallowed Spark's FUD hook like and sinker,

last Friday 28th November, the UBA price was $44.98 . Now its likely to fall to $38.39 and Spark are screaming blue murder because they "expected" the price to fall to the full $34.44 price the Com Com initially proposed 2 years ago,

If Spark built their entire business model on expecting a $34 price then to be honest, they have rocks in their head and deserve to suffer,
No one seriously expected the $34 price to actually happen, either because the Com Com would recalculate it ( as has happened), or by the Government intervening, ( as they threatened to do)

What Spark's Spin Machine has managed to do is frame to media to report " the wholesale price of UBA is going up" when infact it is not,
but now when Spark say that we are holding prices despite a rising wholesale price they will be seen as heroes,

When infact they have had a wholesale price reduction and are going to quietly pocket the difference....

I suggest you read this thread before blaming Spark for everything. Everyone is complaining about this copper price hike. ,.. http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?fo ... cid=157453
paulw

Postby enerider » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:33 pm

mad wrote:
DigiDog wrote:
GSVNoFixedAbode wrote:According to Chorus, I've still got to wait until 2019 until I can ditch the copper!

Lucky you! I live in a semi-rural area. While Chorus have run fibre to the school just 1km up the road, they've told me that the oen hundred odd homes in our village will never be connected. We can't even get VDSL2. While I'm not complaining about our current (5.5mbps down) connection, maintaining high prices for copper connections to encourage fibre uptake does not work in areas where Chorus cannot or will not provide that service.

Then go and talk to the school about them becoming a "community internet hub." and allow their backbone to improve Internet access for your village,

http://www.minedu.govt.nz/theMinistry/EducationInitiatives/UFBInSchools/QuestionsAndAnswers/DigitalHubsForCommunities.aspx

You know, that seems like a pretty solid answer!
enerider

Postby greven » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:57 pm

DigiDog wrote:Thanks mad... that's very interesting. Does anyone have experience of this model working in practice? I'd love to get an idea of the costs involved and how many subscribers it would take to break even.

http://velocitynet.co.nz/ were the first to piggyback off school fibre. If you are serious, you can try talking to them about a partnership to bring Velocity internet to your area.
The ministry originally didn't allow schools to sell or give away access to their network beyond school grounds because there were a lot of cowboys wanting to half ass it. Velocity went ahead anyway & showed that it can be done properly, so the ministry relented & created a set of guidelines that allow schools to partner with a wireless ISP, but not sell or give away access to their own network.
greven

Previous

Return to Today's column