About that KBE you ordered (24 Sep, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

About that KBE you ordered (24 Sep, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:43 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0924.shtml

Wow... has it finally arrived? You know, that KBE that the government ordered back at the turn of the century?

Exactly what will it mean to NZ, it's economy and the IT industry in general now that Amazon has announced its intention to throw
billions of dollars at building a part of its cloud infrastructure right here.

And why are they doing it?

Any guesses as to how their tax affairs will be structured?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: About that KBE you ordered (24 Sep, 2021)

Postby hagfish » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:40 am

It does seem odd that they would pick li'l NZ, but perhaps they are simply looking for functional-ish societies to set up in, and don't want to have all their eggs in the USA as it face-plants. On closer inspection, maybe we aren't special, and they're just ticking off all the timezones.

One thing we've learned is that without a commensurate investment in STEM subjects at school, all this fancy infrastructure will get used for is Netflix and Roblox. Meanwhile, what Knowledge we did once have is leaking out our ears.
hagfish

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:05 am

Good news, but why Auckland? The land of Lockdowns and imminent urban volcanic renewal?
While they can't say where the next eruption will be, GNS scientists say they are certain that there will be a future eruption.

Still, could be worse, they could plonk down a data centre right at the bottom of a large dam that sits on a faultline!
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby phill » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:10 pm

if i was guessing
doubtful sound
underwater
<2 meter tide and sheltered .. so enough movement of quite cold water for passive cooling most of the time
and a freaking big power generator on the door step

just needs heavy fibre to it .. and thats nothing when the costing of the rest would be so favourable
its also the closest place to west island .. even though it's only the tassi bit
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby Perry » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:40 pm

Bruce wrote:Whatever the reasons and justifications for this big spend it's got to be good news for all concerned. Perhaps the most interesting thing I'll be watching is exactly how Amazon's tax obligations are structured here in New Zealand.

I wonder if implementation will take as long as the KBE?
I.e. We should not believe it until it's happened.
Perry

Postby roygbiv » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:48 am

GSVNoFixedAbode wrote:Good news, but why Auckland?

That is quite an interesting point, why indeed Auckland. The cost of real estate and finding an actual site to build such a centre would be a challenge in Auckland. And then there is the power to supply such a data centre. The clever money would be siting it to replace Tiwai Point power consumption as that has had a new lease of life until 2024. Cheap and locally produced renewable energy would certainly be a feather in the cap for AWS and make everyone happy down south. Who knows the so called KBE could spread up from there.

Yeah Right . .
roygbiv

Postby Perry » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:48 am

roygbiv wrote:

That is quite an interesting point, why indeed Auckland. The cost of real estate and finding an actual site to build such a centre would be a challenge in Auckland. And then there is the power to supply such a data centre. The clever money would be siting it to replace Tiwai Point power consumption as that has had a new lease of life until 2024. Cheap and locally produced renewable energy would certainly be a feather in the cap for AWS and make everyone happy down south. Who knows the so called KBE could spread up from there.

Yeah Right . .

Just like covid-19? :twisted:
Perry

Postby Malcolm » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:30 am

roygbiv wrote:

Yeah Right . .

Auckland doesn't seem like a great place for it to me. Power supply issues, cost of land, traffic etc. Only things in it favour are Auckland Airport is the major international hub for flights, and most of our international fibre links come ashore there. I would have thought that those two issues would be easier to solve or manage than the issues in Auckland.
Malcolm

Postby Perry » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:35 am

Leaving aside the current 'announcement,' then, as Bruce observed, Much Ado About Nothing seems a fair label.

KBE = Kooks Bullshitting Everyone?
Perry

Return to Today's column