Good news for dairy lovers (28 Sep, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Good news for dairy lovers (28 Sep, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:22 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0928.shtml

Now that dairy is deemed to be healthy again, should we be trying to find ways to ensure that low-income earners are able to afford its health benefits?

Are you as sad as I am when you see people's shopping trolleys loaded up with bottles of Coke or Pepsi and bags of biscuits and other sugary treats but surprisingly devoid of staples like milk, cheese and yogurt?

Were you bought up (like me) to believe that drinking a pint of milk a day was a good thing?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Good news for dairy lovers (28 Sep, 2021)

Postby granada29 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:20 am

aardvark_admin wrote:Now that dairy is deemed to be healthy again, should we be trying to find ways to ensure that low-income earners are able to afford its health benefits?

Are you as sad as I am when you see people's shopping trolleys loaded up with bottles of Coke or Pepsi and bags of biscuits and other sugary treats but surprisingly devoid of staples like milk, cheese and yogurt?

Were you bought up (like me) to believe that drinking a pint of milk a day was a good thing?

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. I still have nightmares about the warm 1/2 pint we were made to drink at morning break when I was in primary school.
granada29

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:26 am

granada29 wrote:3. I still have nightmares about the warm 1/2 pint we were made to drink at morning break when I was in primary school.

Fortunately I never had to endure that torture but I did enjoy at least a pint of fresh, cold milk at home every day.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:11 am

Due to health reasons (curse you genetic history!) I had to switch to "Lazy Keto" at the end of last year, so discovered to my surprise that apparently it's not fat that's the evil but sugar and carbs. These days my snacks are mostly nuts and cheese, protein consumption is higher, while bread/rice/spuds/pasta are are on the Avoid list.

Made quite the difference!
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:15 am

Yep, I've cut down hugely on the amount of carbs in my diet and reaped a rich reward for doing so.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:21 am

Damn those genes, indeed. I inherited pernicious anaemia. It seems to only be the male side of the family that's so afflicted.

I've always felt that much health advice was too broad. It failed to allow for individual traits. Or even choices, like being a vegetarian. We only have to look back to the re-appearance of rickets in NZ, after too much slavish adherence to the sunshine is bad for you slogans.

So much of what we hear and see as 'official' seems to fit the old joke: take my advice - I'm not using it.

Oh - the other thing . . . Why is it that junk food is always cheaper than the healthier alternative, I wonder?
Perry

Postby namartinnz » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:20 am

I'm still very much dairy orientated Bruce, and like my Greek, plain yoghurts too. I also like a slice of cheese as a later evening snack. I've cut back on the bottled milk, doing my breccies etc with powdered milk. I don't mind the tastes and just have light blue for my coffees. So it helps with saving the dolphins etc, but more importantly saving a few dollars here and there.
namartinnz

Postby jo2lo » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:48 pm

I used to love dairy product, right up to the time when I developed lactose intolerance.
Now things like milk and yoghurt give me the sh!t$.
I really miss my spearmint thickshakes in summer!
jo2lo

Postby Perry » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:08 pm

jo2lo wrote:I used to love dairy product, right up to the time when I developed lactose intolerance.

How many years did it take before that onset?
Any clues as to what 'triggered' the change?

I used to keep bees and 'fob off' multiple stings while working the hives.
Some physiological tolerance threshold was reached one day and I became allergic to bee stings!
Well, not allergic in a medical sense - intolerant is the word.
So the hives and gear were given away.
Bugger! :roll:

After all these years, I suspect I'm approaching dairy intolerance. (To my dismay - I do like cheese!)
I wonder if dairy is implicated in the phlegm problem I've 'acquired.'
The same as what people call the 'ahem bug,' perhaps?
Perry

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:32 pm

It's funny how the body decides one day, out of the blue, to become intollerant or alergic to stuff.

I know a few people who've worked in the fibreglass industry that, after many years of not having problems, have suddenly become alergic to epoxy resins. It seems that a switch gets thrown and almost "overnight" the body says "I'm not aving it!" and starts to react very badly to things that, just a day before, were not a problem.

Fortunately I'm still tollerating a lot of stuff that I probably shouldn't be. Apparently exposure to solvents and other toxins over the years may have contributed to my present neurological issues... but hey, I had a really good time getting to this state so who cares? :-D
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Return to Today's column